PDA

View Full Version : Top Water LMB water temps?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Kevin Doran said he likes 62 to 78 degrees for a good range for consistent results.

He also reported that his client Paul Wilms landed a 6#plus LMB today in the Delta on top, naturally.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I think 70 degrees should be good........................just need to find it.

Was in the low 60s this weekend in the Delta for us.

Hairstacker
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
70 degrees has always been the magic number for me. In the areas I normally fish on the Delta, you can get them on the surface in the low to mid-60s, but I just haven't found it nearly as consistent as when the temps get higher.

Along with the wind, I suspect low water temps was the primary challenge during the Lundborg outing this past weekend. In the future, I'm thinking we should probably hold it in September, which is my favorite topwater bass month on the Delta -- mid-September water temps are up, baitfish are abundant, bass are hungry all day and all night, less chance of wind, and air temps are coming down again. Something to think about. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a winner HS.

Mid-September is probably the other top time.

Maybe less wind?

Tony P
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
58 degrees = I usually start fishing topwater, granted you don't get a lot of fish but they are usually bigger than average.

63-64 degrees = Things will pick up enough where I'll toss my topwater baits all day looking for those bigger fish.

67-69 degrees = It's on.

Summer = Morning, Evenings, & any shade pockets I come across.

Fall/Early Winter = All day until water temps get below 55 degrees.

Pre & Post Spawn = I catch more fish on sliding/walking baits vs. poppers.

Frogs & Rats over Mats = 65+ degrees, the warmer the better!

Summer & Fall = Poppers

These are just the guidelines I follow & have had good success with. I'm sure anyone that has fished for bass long enough knows there are no set rules, bass make there own rules as they please.

Tony P

k.hanley
05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Presented clear and built on successful field time. Not the only approach, but a darn good one! Thanks Tony. :nod:
Cheers, Ken

PS: Those of you who don't know T.P., he was one of the most successful young guns on the professional bass circuit. Now he gets to fish with his kids. And on occassion even a buddy or two. :D