PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Salmon in mid May

SFMike
04-30-2008, 11:02 AM
If you were going to fish for salmon in Oregon around mid May, what rivers might have spring chinook in them? I'm hoping to get a long weekend in up there next month, but I don't know Oregon at all. Is there good fishing closer to Portland or would it be better to fly into Eugene and go from there? Also, can you swing flies for them? I'd like to fish with my spey rod, but have a single hander if nymphing techniques work better.

thanks a lot for any info and advice!

Cheers,
mike

Rick J
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
there are a number of good rivers out of Tilamook - but would agree with Tristan - you should check regulations and maybe send Oregon Salmon aka Galen a private message

SFMike
04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I called the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, Oregon a week or so ago and they said the Sandy River would be open and should have some springers in it. I figured if that river was open some of the other northern rivers might be too and I didn't think the closure was for the whole Oregon coast. I'm not looking to keep any salmon anyway, but it would be fun to hook into one. I'll try to see what Oregon F&G says. Maybe Washington is a better bet.
mike

shawn kempkes
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM
All the rivers near pdx andsome on the coast have springers and summer steelhead in them now. Check the regs some of the coastal rivers are closed till the end of may. I wouldnt spend to much time chasing the springers.They dont bite flies that good. The limiting factor you are going to have is snow melt. when we get a couple of warm days the rivers are going to be to high to flyfish. I would fish the north Santiam or the sandy if you are banking it as they have the most access.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't think 'Springers' (spring-run king salmon) take a fly well either.

Really cool fish though.

Most use fresh 'protein' for them. Fresh roe or fresh shrimp.