PDA

View Full Version : my 1st of '08

Charlie Gonzales
04-24-2008, 09:15 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/cdgonzo04/shad001.jpg
Fished the color line for a couple hours for one small stripe and 3 shad. Crowds started showing around 5:30 and thats when I left.

David Lee
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Ahhhhhh ......

There goes my dream of being the first board dude to hang one this season :x :(

You suck :crybaby:

David ( =D> :thumbsup: =D> :thumbsup: )

Chris Laskodi
04-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice job, you actually left after the peak bite of the night. It never really materialized tonight, could have been due to the two furbags that decided to come through.

I was the one with the fly rod and spin rod who was yelling at you. Next time come pick me up!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Great Charlie.

Your the man..............talk about fresh run.

So they are at the mouth of the American and the mouth of the Feather now.

They should be upriver soon, maybe at the "Log Hole" area (Paradise Beach/Cal Expo) on the lower A ?

craigfalk
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Charlie,

Beautiful fish - way to go!

Craig

Jeff C.
04-25-2008, 10:01 AM
It's unfortunate that the flows are so low on the American. I don't know when the shad will start moving upstream. Fly fishing is tough at the mouth fishing from shore and it will be impossible when the hordes descent on Discovery Park. Like Chris said, 100 guys in a 100 yards and boats trying to jockey for position at the mud line. Pray for increased flows! Jeff C.

Charlie Gonzales
04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys. Actually I hate shad fishing out of a boat. No cast, no swing....just a fish. I think what we need to pray for is lots of cool weather. As long as the temps dont get too high with the low flows then the fish will still move up stream. But its way too early to worry yet. I was able to motor all the way up to "last chance riffle" and never spotted any other shad or stripes and I could see the entire river bottom almost the whole way up. But I did see some nice LMB's though.

Jeff C.
04-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey Charlie! Nice hen. I was out there Thursday nite and I heard you tell Chris that it wasn't your idea of fly fishing. I was the guy at the bottom of the line up with the spey rod. You're right about the current being so slow that you can't get a nice swing. I fished the lower river with Jeff F. and Bruce from San Diego yesterday afternoon. Result 0 SH, 0 shad, 0 striper, 2 suckers, and 1 squawfish. Jeff C.

Charlie Gonzales
04-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Jeff, Chris...nice to see some board members out on the river. All three fish that were caught that day were above average size males(see picture).

Jay Murakoshi
05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Great looking fish. I hope to be back in time to catch the tail end of the run. Actually, I caught a couple shad today in the baja.
Except I think there tail was more forked and the body shaped like a football. Opps, excuse me - it was a jack crevalle
Still no snook to the hand

The weather here is warm to HOT depends on what you call hot.
Going out again in the morning in search of the la paz snook.
For some of you guys coming down in the coming weeks, I've heard say that there's a group of roosters and jack roaming the beach. I'll be trying that later this week.
Hope to post photo's in the coming days.

This is a first for me... I brought a lap top with me to keep checking emails and work on the DVD at night. Ken's probably sitting in the background chuckling to himself "Yeah right, the person who swore he'd never take a lap top to baja" :-)

Jay