PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Rod Input

JSP
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Looking to get another inexpansive quality rod (9ft 5 wt). Do you guys have any input on these:

TFO Signature Series
Redington Redfly
St. Croix Triumph

I currently have a St. Croix Premier (8wt) and a Cabelas Prestige (5wt), and a Pflueger or Fenwick can't remember (4wt). I like all of them, but that's probably because I don't know what I am missing. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Scott V
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I have the TFO Professional series in a 3 weight and a 7 weight and love them. And I plan on getting the 5 weight eventually.

SteelieD
04-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Go with the TFO.

BigBuddha
04-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Another vote for the TFO Professional. A very good performance for such an economical rod.

tommylee
04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Launch series rods are great. Plus they come with a very nice rod tube and they are the same price or just a bit more than the TFO Professional rods. The color is beautiful as a bonus.

SuperFlyGuy
04-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Another vote for TFO. Get the pro series. It feels like a much more expensive rod than it is.

FISHEYE
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
yet another vote for TFO! I really like mine and I also own and fish all the expensive ones like Sage xp and z-axis and Loomis GLX. I like the looks of the expensive ones more but the TFOs I own fish very well.

JSP
04-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I have done some further research and have heard great things about the TFO Professional Series. I have revised the list and will get one of the following in the next couple weeks:

TFO Professional Series
Echo Classic 1
St. Croix Reign

Anyone have any additional input on the Echo or St. Croix? The Echo and the St. Croix also come with a hard case. Thanks.

JD
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Have only cast the TFO and the Echo and I much prefer the TFO action over the Echo (a bit too stiff). YMMV. I wouldn't let the rod tube be the deciding factor, considering that you can pick one up for anywhere from $10-$40, depending on how fancy you want to get.

You have cast these rods, right? If not, once you have the price range down, go cast them to see which you like best.

OceanSunfish
04-30-2008, 11:01 AM
The TFO Signature Series in 8'-6" 4 weight is outstanding. If you don't need a 9' rod, consider this model. It's one of those rods that work out given with the materials and design used, whereas, for example, the 5 weight may not be quite as 'golden'.

I also like the 7 weight in the signature series too. It's a beautiful rod for $99.

JSP
05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Well I cast all of the rods except the St. Croix Reign. And then I cast a TFO TiCRx and a Sage Launch. I probably would have been perfectly happy with any one of the rods I cast. But I ended up ponying up $65 more than I wanted and pulled the trigger on the Sage Launch. I can't wait to try it out on the water in Oregon (McKenzie and Lower Deschutes) at the end of the month.

Thanks for all the input.

Gornzorn
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
that's the one that I want. Let us know what you thought after some use...or pm me. Thanks.
Frank.