PDA

View Full Version : Legislation....

Darian
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
In the interest of making it easier to follow/update the progress of state legislation.... AB 1806 was amended today. The usual housekeeping type amendments were made as well as a couple that (IMHO) weakened its original provisions. :?

For example, The bill subjected all public land management agencies to its provisions. This was changed to exclude all but federal and state agencies. This amendment would appear to allow local public agencies and others to continue to approve development projects within the Delta without planning for negative impacts on fisheries within the Delta.

Another amendment deleted the requirement of developing an "emergency contingency plan" as a precondition for issuance of a permit(s) for a project with significant, adverse impacts on fish. :? :? This one appears to weaken the regulatory process over operations of the pumps at Tracy. Instead of dealing with anticipated problems during the licensing/permit process, now problems might be mitigated after they occur. :? :?

This stuff has been summarized, extensively.

I anticipate that AB 2502 will be amended shortly and posted. It'll be interesting to see if/how these two bills will dovetail now. 8) 8)

Mrs.Finsallaround
04-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the update Darian... I'm especially interested in following these two bills as well. 8)

I wonder, though, if we should have a separate forum for "legislation" as we do for "conservation"?

Darian
04-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Robin,.... After seeing the "luke warm" interest shown under the Conservation Forum, I don't think it's warranted. Not too many members of the BB express a great deal of interest in reading this stuff as long as someone else is following it. :roll: :roll: That's why I try not to bore them and keep the posts summarized. :lol: :lol:

Mike McKenzie
04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Darian / Robin,

You can expect another amendment session with 1806 as it wends its way through the process..What has happened so far was expected. Also, there will likely be some more tinkerin' with 2502 .....

One Day at a time...
Mike

Darian
05-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Checked the "Status" of bill number AB 2502 (The Delta Restoration Bill) to day. The bill has not been amended but is scheduled for a hearing on may 7th in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. That probably means that any amendments will be posted the day before (May 6th). 8) 8) Oughta be interesting to see if this one is watered down like AB 1806 was.... :? :? :?