PDA

View Full Version : Squid Pattern

Darian
04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I've been trying to settle on a pattern design for Squid for some time. The requirements for this have been simplicity, color, size, proportions and flexibility of scale (length, etc.). Since there's really nothing overly original in the world of fly tying any longer, this may be an adaption of someone else' work that I haven't seen yet. The initial effort follows:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0206.jpg

I've used a rabbit Zonker strip (sticks out better), wrapped on a tube, for the body and tentacles/eye tied on the hook shank for this design. Chose the tube for the body as I don't like long shank hooks for saltwater species. The tube is metallic (not lead) as I wanted the pattern to sink, quickly. The hook is a Gamakatsu, model SC 15 2H, size 3/0. Overall length (at this point) is 6".

Since I'm headed for Baja soon, the colors are intended to imitate a small Humboldt Squid. Still playing with this design but it's getting close. Proportion of the tentacle length to body isn't quite right, yet. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate some translucency into the design.

Can't wait for Baja. Hope those Yellowtail don't leave before I get there. :D :D :D :D

David Lee
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Looks good to me !

I wouldn't over-think things , D ......... Fish don't count tentacles and such (right - like I DON'T count :lol: ) . As far as translucency ? Perhaps a dubbing loop filled w/ Kinkyfiber and Pearl Angelhair palmered up the tube ???

I REALLY like that color you've got going on there ....... :thumbsup:

David :D

Hairstacker
04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Very cool Darian -- really like the idea of incorporating a tube rather than going with a really long-shanked hook. 8)

Scott V
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Looks deadly to me, and I really love the red. Can't wait to see it hanging out of the mouth of a big fish.

Darian
04-26-2008, 02:58 PM
OK,.... I've revised the original pattern a bit:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0210.jpg

Made the mantle a bit longer and Added some flash. Used shorter/thinner rusty orange Grizzly saddles and Ostrich for the tentacles for better proportions and action.

The next photo is a side by side for perspective:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0208.jpg

The flash in the mantle is very subtle. It's created by wrapping UV Polar Chenille with the Zonker strip. 8) 8) 8)

Jasonh
04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Great tie Darian! I really like the second one you tied with the flash and a little longer body. They should work great. If I was a fish, I would eat it!

FISHEYE
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Wow! That UV flash in the zonker looks great. I need to try that for some of my big rainbow leaches.

Darian
04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Great idea. UV Polar Chenille really adds subtle highlights to a pattern. Comes in several colors too. This ones rusty copper. If you try it, post a photo. 8) 8) 8)

FISHEYE
05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Darian, a question for you? Did you wrap the rabbit first and then "weave" the uv polar chenille in afterwards or did you wrap them at the same time. I was able to find some uv polar chenile with silver flash and I tried one last night wrapping them at the same time. It looks pretty good but how did you do it? Phil

Darian
05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi Phil,.... I wrapped them at the same time. Tied in the rabbit strip on top pf the shank and the Polar Chenille under the shank at the same point. My first wrap is with the Rabbit. As it is wrapped down, I catch the chenille in front of the rabbit and continue wrapping to the tie off point. I tie off the chenille and then take one more wrap of rabbit to cover the chenille in front. 8) 8)

I'll bet your leech pattern really looks great with this stuff in it. :) :) :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Great Darian

Looks like a $20 fly to me?

David Lee
06-27-2008, 06:37 AM
BUMP !!

How did you do w/ the Squid on the last trip , Darian ??

David :)

Darian
06-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Didn't have a chance to try it out. Only ran into a few billfish and didn't have the larger rod/reel with me. Not a lot of time available to set up.

I've decided that Jay M. is a very patient man. I helped some beginners at saltwater fly fishing learn to construct twisted leaders (after all attended his orientation session) and, between showing others how to tie nail knots (or tying them myself) for installing braided loops. I didn't have a lot of time to set up extra rigs for my partner and myself. The first evening, I spent installing braided loop connectors for two beginners from montana with little experience and some vision problems. Didn't get to bed until 11:00 PM. The knots held in spite of my best efforts. :lol: :lol: Fortunately, I'm a bit more organized than I was on my first trip so most of my gear was ready.... 8) 8)