PDA

View Full Version : Sunday evening on the American

markem8
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
After reading reports of steelhead still being in the river, I decided to head down and give it a shot. Ten minutes after I started, my indicator went under. I figure I was hung up, but I soon realized I was hooked up. I saw the greenish and silver profile of the fish before it took off flying down river and threw the hook. I think it was a stealhead. I while later I hooked up again and the fish went racing down stream and took two acrobatic leaps. As it raced into my backing I tried to slow it down (oops) :oops: . Based on the jumps (clearing the water by about 3 feet), I think it was a nice adult stealhead.

So I have still yet to land my first adult steelhead and I felt a little out gunned with my 5 weight, but it was still fun and I landed I good size white fish. I also had a beaver and a river otter hanging out across the river from me. All and all it was a nice way to end the weekend!

markem8
04-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I went back to the A yesterday to try and catch the fish that escaped me on Sunday. It turns out that at least one of the large fish I lost on Sunday was probably a squaw fish. I landed 3 squaw fish, two of them probably in the 4lb range. Not exactly what I was hoping for but still fun to battle on a 5wt. It was a nice evening and there was a good caddis hatch although I only saw a couple of rises.

mike N
04-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I was out last night from 8:00 to dark. Good hatch around 8:15, but I only saw three fish come up. They were al smolts.

MN