PDA

View Full Version : Delta 4-13-08

Hairstacker
04-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Made my first topwater trip of the season this morning. Beautiful day with hardly a breeze -- had to take advantage of it, as it is often windy this time of year. Fished for a total of about 2 1/2 hours out of the inflatable kayak and tossed topwater exclusively. Water temperature was 64 degrees and didn't notice any surface activity whatsoever the whole time, except for a few huge carp rooting around in the shallows. Did manage to get my first topwater fish of the season, though, on a size 2 red/white Tap's Bug (just like the ones I tied for the swap :D ):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/200804-13Delta.jpg

Hard fighting fish for his size too and actually thought he was bigger than his 13". He was sitting next to an irrigation pipe and I got him on a pause-pop style retrieve -- he absolutely nailed it on the 2nd pop.

I got a few other topwater explosions as well on a diver but just didn't hook up. One looked to be a really nice fish too when I saw her big back as she got half way out of the water and porpoised down on top of the fly. Ah well, so it goes. It's been a loooong winter and I'm thrilled to see the topwater season shaping up. . . and it's only going to get better. :D