PDA

View Full Version : Email report from Nor Cal guide Hogan Brown

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Warm weather is finally here. The Weekend forecast is for low to mid 80’s in Chico. While the weather has been nice it still has been very cool at night. With this warm weather most spring fishing should kick into full gear (that is if we don’t have another cold spell). I still have these days open:

April: 19, 20, 26, 27

May: 10, 24, 26

June 1, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, More dates in June to come as My schedule clears up.

If anyone is interested in booking a trip here is what to expect:

Warm Water (Bass, Carp, Shad, and Stripers): The Largemouth fishing has been slow but this warm weather should kick the fish into gear and get pre spawn and spawn going. The shallows should begin to hold fish and the sloughs on the L. Sac should start to heat up. Carp are still a few weeks away I think as the flats need to warm a bit before they began to nose around. Shad are most likely still a few weeks away. If you subscribe to the old wives tale that once the cotton wood drops it is time to fish we are still a few weeks away. There are reports of the first pushes of migratory stripers down by Colusa and Boyd’s Pump. I went down to Butte City the other day and found a few smaller schoolies. I tend to let the crowds duke it out for the migratory fish and wait until June and July to fish for the resident stripers, most times with the river to myself.

Lower Yuba: The Lower Yuba has been fishing very good. While the hatches have been sporadic, and most fish lately have been coming on nymphs, this warmer weather should kick the PMD’s, Little Yellow Stones, and caddis into full gear. Dry fly fishing should be very good over the next 2 months on the river and as long as we don’t get a huge cold or heat wave remain fairly consistent.

Lower Sacramento (trout): Aside from a flow increase last week the Lower Sac has been fishing very well. I have been spending most of my time in the lower River (Barge to Los Molinos) chasing down trout and a few spring steelhead. While spring is a great time to be on this river the crowds can be thick. I am looking forward to June and July fishing in the lower river once the crowds thin out.

Lower Feather (steelhead): The spring run of steelhead in the feather is under way and this warmer weather should get the fish feeding more actively. Caddis hatches during the evening should start up and create opportunity of catching a steelhead on the surface.

Hope everyone is doing well and planning on getting out and doing some fishing. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call 530-514-2453 or check out my website at:

www.hgbflyfishing.com