PDA

View Full Version : Warm Weather

Jay Murakoshi
04-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Here is Fresno, the temps were in the 80's - finally. So what does a person do when there retired and getting tired of tying flies and editing a DVD? Go Fish'n.
I loaded up the pram (gimpy knee and all) and headed down the road about 13 minutes. Sorta, kinda perfect - hey what's this. At least 20 empty trailers in the parking lot. Oh well, at least no one is fishing my spot.
Unloaded the pram by backing the truck into the water and shoving the pram out the back. One mistake, the nose took a dive and took on a bunch of water inside the hull. Hooked up the trolling motor, loaded the gear and off I go to "Rattlesnake Island" Maybe a 75 yd putt from where I launched.
I have visual pictures in my brain of what the island looked like earlier in the year when it was high and dry.

Found an area where the land is shelved and started making a few casts with the CB diver. WHAM ! WHAM ! then a small fight and small bass to hand.
Caught a few more before leaving. The knee was starting to hurt and the sun was setting, I know I should of stayed because the bite could of gotten better.

Just had to wet a line on this beautiful spring/summer day. See you guys next weekend at the Fly Fishing Fair

Jay

Scott V
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Got some top water action this morning out at Cameron Park, even got a top water around 11:00. Alot of suspended fish that aren't ready to eat yet were all over Cameron. They would swim right under me. I could get them to follow the baits but they just didn't want to commit. But that will change soon, the bass are waking up and are on the move.

Mike Churchill
04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Spent Sunday in the Mokelumne, Calaveras, and Beaver Slough. Water temps ranged from around 60 in the lower Moke to as high as 67.5 in the mouth of the Calaveras.

Saw a few stripers busting bait but couldn't get near them quickly enough.

Caught one crappie in Beaver and my first smallie of the season in the Calaveras: marked a nice school but hooked the submerged trees repeatedly rather than more fish. :o

Spoke to several bait fishers who had landed small numbers of stripers. One boat had an 8 or 10 pounder on a stringer (caught by a 12-yr. old kid).

Sure is prettier up the Moke from Wimpy's than it is downstream or in the sloughs.

Mike

Rodney D.
04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Mike, how far up the Mokelumne did you go? Did you go up past the Mokelumne/Cosumnes split? I might me going up past the split Friday and just wanted to know what the water temp. is and how fast the flows are going. There's usually some good spotted bass fishing up past the split. Thanks, Rodney D.

Mike Churchill
04-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Rodney,

We didn't go past the split on the Moke--we fished at the junction and about 100 yards up the Calaveras.

Water temps at the junction were in the 66 to 67 range. We got there around high tide, and the water was really not moving at all at the junction. As the tide began to drop the flow picked up a moderate amount.

I haven't caught a spot yet--that I know of. The bass I caught just up the Calaveras fought like a smallie and the mouth stopped in front of the eye, so I assumed it was a smallie. My buddy thought it was a largemouth until I pointed out the rear of the mouth.

Could that have been a spot?

Mike

Rodney D.
04-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey Mike, thanks for the reply. Yea, it could have been a spot. The easiest way to tell is just look at the lines on the side of the fish. Lateral lines are a spot and horizontal lines are a smallie...even though some of the smallies in there don't have real pronounced lines. Also inside the mouth there is a hard bump or tooth on the tongue near the throat which is a good indicator that it is a spot. There are alot of spots in there as they have migrated down river from the foothill lakes. I hope to get some this Friday.

briansII
04-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Here is Fresno, the temps were in the 80's - finally. So what does a person do when there retired and getting tired of tying flies and editing a DVD? Go Fish'n.
I loaded up the pram (gimpy knee and all) and headed down the road about 13 minutes. Sorta, kinda perfect - hey what's this. At least 20 empty trailers in the parking lot. Oh well, at least no one is fishing my spot.
Unloaded the pram by backing the truck into the water and shoving the pram out the back. One mistake, the nose took a dive and took on a bunch of water inside the hull. Hooked up the trolling motor, loaded the gear and off I go to "Rattlesnake Island" Maybe a 75 yd putt from where I launched.
I have visual pictures in my brain of what the island looked like earlier in the year when it was high and dry.

Found an area where the land is shelved and started making a few casts with the CB diver. WHAM ! WHAM ! then a small fight and small bass to hand.
Caught a few more before leaving. The knee was starting to hurt and the sun was setting, I know I should of stayed because the bite could of gotten better.

Just had to wet a line on this beautiful spring/summer day. See you guys next weekend at the Fly Fishing Fair

Jay

Hey Jay,

What happened. It's only 55 degrees out now. :?

How's the carpin' lately.

I've been out chasing LMB locally. Things have really perked up. I might try and get out to Eastman this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

brians