PDA

View Full Version : Jack Gartside's eNewsletter - long

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Jack Gartside's Flyfishing Newsletter for April 2008

Greetings and Salutations,

April is here. At last! I don't know about you but here in the northeast the winter just past was one of the dreariest I can remember--cold, snow, rain, and then more of the same. Yeah, I know, spring can be really dreary, too. I took a look at my fishing logs for the past ten years and in most of them I was also complaining about bad weather well into June. I hope this year's different.

But Spring is certainly the season of Hope, a time to be optimistic. So wherever you are and whatever the weather is right now it's certain that the trout will be rising soon, the bass will be getting ready to spawn, the bonefish will be tailing, and the str! ipers will soon be chasing bait up and down the coast. It's a good time to remember that "Carpe Diem" does NOT mean "Fish of the Day" but that we should put aside the cares of the world and make the most of the time allotted to us, which means to me that we should fish more and fret less.

Reminds me of the story I read a while back--and which I included in a newsletter of a few years ago-- called "Final Words". I don't know who wrote it but it's a neat story. And supposedly true. Here it is:

An old man in his final moments called in his family and said, "I must apologize to you all. I suppose I haven't been the perfect father and husband. I shamefully admit that I spent as much of my life as I could in the woods and on the streams. I was rarely at home during the fishing season and I'll admit that I spent too much time at the fly shop and too much money on rods and r! eels."

He paused here to res t for a minute, then continued.

I've been a terrible father and husband and I hope you'll all forgive me ."Then he paused again and looked around. Then he closed his eyes and smiled and said in a half whisper to himself, "But on the other hand....I HAVE caught a lot of trout..."

-----

Now that the busy "show season" is over and club program schedules are winding down, I plan to get out and fish as often as I can. After all the snow and rain we've had this past winter and so far this spring, the rivers here in New England are mostly at flood stage right now and it will be some time before they become fishable but as soon as Nature permits, I'll be out there flogging the local streams and rivers in search of some early season trout. In the meantime I plan to fish some of the local ponds, and hope for the best. Maybe even take a trip down to the Cape when the weather warms up. I hate to admit it but I've become a fair-weather fisherman. I'm happy to leave the cold and snow to the Eskimos. They can have it. Brrrr.

Speaking of fair weather, I'm planning on taking another couple of weeks off in May to travel back down to Florida, where I had such a great time last month. This time the weather should be a bit more favorable for good fishing; certainly there should be more fish around and active. The plan is to spend four or five days in the Keys for tarpon and bones; then four or five days back in the Everglades for tarpon and largemouth bass and whatever else I can catch while I'm there. And then, who knows? Wherever the wind--or my whim--takes me. When I return, the stripers should be abundant and active in Boston and the trout i! n the local streams and the smallies in Maine will be waiting. Given this schedule, if you need flies, it would be wise to order them early, to give me time to tie them up and get them off to you in a timely fashion.

Website News:
New Blog on website: http://www.jackgartside.com
It's been up for a few months but I just thought I'd remind you to check it frequently for new postings. It's right there in the upper right corner of the home page under Roccus Writings. I try to add to it as often as I can and I encourage your participation as well. The more comments the merrier.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
I've answered some of these questions before in earlier newsletters but since newcomers to my e-list keep growing daily I thought it would be a good time to address some of these questions again.

&nbs! p;Frequently Asked Questions

1. (and this is the most-frequently asked question) Do you personally tie all the flies that you have for sale?

Yes, I do personally tie each and every one. Which is why I sometimes get behind a bit in filling orders, especially during the busy winter months (January and February especially), when I'm travelling a lot. If you order selections of flies,there's generally no delay in getting these out; I usually have most of the selections on hand. It's the orders for individual flies that take a bit longer since I often have very few individual flies in stock and must tie each one to order and I tie each individual order in the order in which they arrive. Since I'm a fairly slow and methodical tyer I may tie up only about three dozen flies on an average day (that is if my eyes and back don't act up on me, in which case I'll tie fewer). Eventually, though, all the flies get tied and ! everybody's patience is rewarded. The best time to order individual fl ies or those flies not offered in selections is generally April through July and again in September and October, when I'm travelling less and I have more time to tie.

2. Do you have a shop?

No. Because of the website, many people make the assumption that I have a shop or operate a large flytying consortium but this is far from the truth. A laugh, really, since there's just me, myself, and I to do all the tying, packaging, writing, and all the other chores that need to be done.

3. Do you make a good living doing what you do?

An honest answer to this is, Hell, no!--but I make a great life.

4. How long have you been tying flies?

I was taught to tie my first fly by the late, great Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox. This was in 1956 or 1957 (can't remember now exactly which year). I was just a young lad at the time and Ted ! was my idol. At the time I had never seen a fly tied before but I figured that if Ted was interested in flytying, this was something I'd like to know more about. I've been tying regularly ever since.

5. Where do your fly-tying ideas come from? Or, another variation of the same question, What inspires you to come up a certain pattern?

These are difficult questions to answer meaningfully. I'm an habitual experimental tyer and my tying area is often a chaos of materials. Out of this chaos, I am sometimes moved to create order. Ideas come to me most often when I'm bored with the repetition of tying a single pattern over and over again, flies that require no thought to their construction but only rote mechanical skill. It's then that my mind is free to range over the possibilities that exist within all the different materials spread out before me. Once I focus on a particular material (say a pheasant feather), I t! ry then to imagine all the particular uses to which that feather can b e put. And so on.

It should be said at this point that I have hundreds of ideas in the course of a year--but only one or two of them ever turn out to be GOOD ideas; the others not so good, some downright foolish. But it's the pursuit of the good idea--that perfect expression of a perfect fly, for instance--that keeps me involved, enthused, and searching--and occasionally satisfied. After many years of tying, the successes remain and the failures are forgotten.

That's enough for now. Thank you for asking. I'll answer other questions in later newsletters. It's time now to pass on to other things.

New edition of Striper Strategies ready soon!
For the past couple of months I've been updating, rewriting and expanding Striper Strategies, which was first published in 1998 and has since gone out of print. I expect it to be ready sometime in early May. If you're interested in a signed and number! ed copy (1-50), please let me know and I'll put one aside for you. The price will be $25.00.

New Flies Added to the Web Site (http://www.jackgartside.com)
I've added a few new flies to the website over the past month, which you might like. I've had a number of requests to expand the number of flies tied in a flatwing style and I've made a bit of a start here; I'll add more as time goes on. I should add here that these flatwing flies are quite a bit different from the very long and skimpy--almost "stringy"--flatwing flies commonly in use. Mine are tied with a seductive marabou collar instead of bucktail and with wider and webbier--hence "fuller"--saddle hackles and are tied somewhat shorter, in a range of 4"-8". I feel that this style of flatwing is generally more useful--and more effective-- in most situations. Lovely flies, lovely action.

Fresh Water Flies
In "Streamers" section:

Bearded Corsair Minnows

FishFinder Streamer--this fly is a real "killer" for all species and I recommend it highly.

In "Gurglers & Sliders" section:

Mystery Gurglers (check these out--really unusual--and very effective! Especially for bass.)

Salt Water Flies
In "Northeast Gamefish" section:

Bearded Corsair Minnows

In "Surface Flies" section:

Flatwing Herring Gurgler

Flatwing Herring Slider

Medium Flatwing Striper Gurgler

Large Flatwing Striper Gurgler

Mystery Gurgler

Snook Gurgler

Weedless Gurgler

Bearded Floating Minnows

In "Tarpon, Snook & Redfish" section:

Flatwing Mullet Streamer

Snook Minnow

Recommended Selections for Spring
Boston Harbor/New England Selection # 1
This saltwater fly selection contains five of my favorite (and most successful) fly patterns for fishing in Boston Harbor and throughout New England. Each selection contains: 1 Large FishHead Silversides, 1 original-style Gartside Gurgler, 1 Blue/white Soft Hackle Streamer,1 Depth-Chargin' Soft Hackle Deceiver,and 1 Chartreuse & White BeastMaster

&! nbsp;Price: $26.00

Boston Harbor/New England Selection #2
This saltwater fly selection also contains five of my favorite fly patterns for fishing in Boston Harbor and throughout New England and features flies chosen with the somewhat advanced or more adventurous angler in mind or for those who would like to broaden their choices of flies offered in Selection 1.

Each selection contains: 1 Gartside FishHead Bucktail, 1 Soft Hackle Flatwing Streamer, 1 BeastMaster General, 1 Bucktail Beauty, and 1 original-style Gartside Gurgler (or Slider, if you prefer).

Price: $30.00

Early Season Striper Selection #1
Included in this selection are flies that are particularly effective in the spr! ing and early summer. Wherever you may fish. Tie one on--and tie into a striper!

Each selection includes: 1 Depth Charger Soft Hackle Deceiver, 1 Blueback Herring FishHead, 1 Gartside Double Gurgler, Bucktail, 1 Soft Hackle Streamer, and 1 small Silversides FishHead.

Price: $25.00

Early Season Striper Selection #2
This selection builds on and expands the range of flies offered in Early Season Striper Selection # 1. No matter where you fish, with both selections in hand you'll have just about all the flies you need to catch the early season stripers.

Each selection includes: 1 Cinder Worm, 1 Flatwing Striper Sniper, 1 Depth Charger Soft Hackle Deceiver, 1 Chartreuse/white BeastMaster, and 1 Large Silversides FishHead.

Price: $25.00

Early Season Trout Fly Selection
This selection contain! s a wide variety of flies that are good all year round but are especia lly effective in the early weeks of the season when the water may still be cold and high and the hatches not very prolific.

Each selection contains: 1 Secret Soft Hackle Streamer, 1 white Fishfinder 2 Wooly Buggers, 2 Sparrow Nymphs, 1 Gartside Bug, 1 Trout Gurgler, 1 CPF Caddis Dry Fly/Emerger, and 1 Peacock Variant

Price: $30.00

Special Brook Trout Fly Selection
This unique selection contains ten flies that have unusual appeal for brook trout. Whether you fish in ponds, lakes or rivers, these lovely flies are sure to tempt the brookies--and many other fresh-water gamefish as well. Included in this selection are:

2 Trout Gurglers (one larger, one smaller), 2 Soft Hackle Streamers, 2 Wooly Buggers, 2 Original Gartside Bugs, 1 Gartside Sparrow and 1 Bohemian Wiggle Worm Fly.

Price: $27.00

Early Sea! son Bass Selection
This selection contains 2 Fishfinder streamers (one large and one smaller); 2 Soft Hackle Streamers; 2 Bass Gurglers (one larger, one smaller); and 2 Wooly Buggers. All tied in colors and sizes to appeal to early season largemouth and smallmouth bass.

Price: $27.00

Books by Jack Gartside
The Flyfisherman's Guide to Boston Harbor $29.95

Fly Patterns for the Adventurous Tyer (fresh water flies) $24.95

Original Salt Water Fly Patterns $24.95

Scratching the Surface $10.00

Fly Tying Classes for April
To the many tyers who have expressed an interest in taking a flytying class with me, here are the remaining April dates for which I have openings. Other dates may be added in May if! there's enough interest.

Fly Tying Class Schedule Spring 2008
Saturday April 26 Fresh and salt water flies for early season fishing

This class will be held at my home in Winthrop, MA (14 Beach Road, Winthrop, MA 617-846-5984).

Hours: 11am-4.30 pm, with a break for lunch (not provided in cost so bring your own sandwiches).

The cost for the Saturday class is $100.00 per person. I will provide most of the materials needed for the class but it is expected that each student will bring along his own tools, threads, and a tying lamp. Classes will be limited to five students per class, the number that can be seated comfortably around my dining room table). These classes are open to all levels. The emphasis will be on innovative and imaginative tying techniques and patterns, both fresh and salt water, with a concentration o! n effective, early-season fish-taking patterns as well as understanding various and unusual tying materials and learning to tie effectively and imaginatively with them. Solving individual tying problems that students may have will also be worked into the session as well as individual requests when possible.

If these classes are of interest to you, please let me know as soon as possible since they're sure to fill up quickly. Email me (gartside@jackgartside.com) or write to me: Jack Gartside 14 Beach Road,Winthrop, MA 02152 and send $20.00 to reserve your space.

Lessons in Successful Striper Strategies--Learn to fish like a predator!
As the days warm up and the season progresses, I'll be posting dates for the popular flyfishing c! lasses that I've held for the past five summers. If you have any inter est in these, please let me know and I'll send you the dates when available.

Lessons will focus on how to consistently find fish; when and where to fish with the most consistent results; understanding tides, currents, and structure and using them to your advantage; finding the food that stripers feed on and understanding the feeding habits of stripers throughout the season; choosing--and using--the right fly; varieties of effective retrieves, as well as many other practical and unusual tips for successful striper fishing. Apart from all these useful things, one thing you can be sure of also is that we'll have a lot of fun--and maybe even an adventure or two.

Participants should be able to cast a fly at least 40 feet, have some basic knowledge of equipment and terminology and be comfortable in various wading situations.

Although classes are held on the shore and on the water at a time when fish ! should be rather plentiful, these are NOT to be considered guided fishing outings as such but rather instructional sessions geared to help the angler become more regularly successful as a striper fisherman.

Please Note: a minimum of two anglers is required to hold a class. If only one person has signed up for a particular date by three days before the class date, then he or she will be notified that the class will be cancelled (and the deposit refunded) or rescheduled or be given the option to take a private class for $300.00.

The cost per session will be $150.00 per person and will be limited to four anglers per session. $50.00 deposit required for registration. The particular locations of the classes will be largely dependent on the weather at the time and the condition of the water. I'll send directions and other particulars to the registrants as soon as I receive a deposit.

Please send deposit! check to Jack Gartside 14 Beach Road, Winthrop, MA 02152

May Dates:
Dates Time Location

Saturday May 10 am-1pm Winthrop/Revere area

Sunday May 11 9am-2pm Winthrop/Revere area

Can't think of anything else to add at this time, so I'll close here and just wish you all a great upcoming fishing season and hope to see you on the water.

Until the next newsletter, Happy Fishing !

Jack

A thought for the day:

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,

The good fortune to run into the ones I do,

And the eyesight to tell the difference.

!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This newsletter comes to you directly from Jack Gartside, 14 Beach Road, Winthrop, MA 02152 USA Tel: 617-846-5984

Catch something at jackgartside.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from Jack's mailing list, or update your email information, please click here.