PDA

View Full Version : Spring Steelhead on the American

Jasonh
04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
It's time to get out there on the American right now. The half pounders and spring steelhead are in and feeding heavily on caddis right now. This is a good time of year to get out in the mornings and evenings to swing caddis puppa and soft hackles on a floating line for these aggressive fish. These fish can also be taken on top both dead drifted and skating various elk hair caddis patterns.

These fish can be found in almost every riffle from sailor bar down to paradise beach. You can fish for these fish using trout tactics fishing 9 foot 5 or 6 wt. rods or even light spey rods. A floating line and 9' 3 or 4x leader and favorite caddis puppa or dry will get the job done. A down and across swing works great to catch these fish just under the surface or on top.

I was out this morning and hooked into a few nice fish ranging from 14- 25" on my spey rod. This one went about 20" or so and was hot!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/longhorn4life/IMGP0172.jpg

Jasonh
04-07-2008, 04:55 PM
A close-up of the chrome rays on the tail of the previous fish.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/longhorn4life/IMGP0173.jpg

Mik
04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
That is one pretty fish. Sounds like a lot of fellas are having a good time out there.

Ryan Miller
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Nice fish Jason,

I like your work.

Ryan

mike N
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
So J,

Do you think MSP will fish a riffle with me if I ask him? I don't think he or I have had good luck on the A in way too long of a time.

Nice fish BTW.

MN

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Actually there are not that many people getting out there.

I don't think many know about the good spring fishing we have in the river whne we don't have flooding.

The caddis hatches will get even better.

Put you tackle in the car and go out after work for a "quicky".

I'm getting out there soon myself.

This good fishing is in most all the rivers that flow into this valley.

Lower Sac
Lower Feather
Lower Yuba
Lower American

And many rivers to the south of here too.

Jasonh
04-07-2008, 11:00 PM
mike,

I actually got to fish one evening last week with MSP. As usual we got skunked together. Everytime we fish together we never do that good! I thought it was me, but maybe MSP is the one with the bad mojo! You guys should get out there!

Scott V
04-08-2008, 07:20 AM
There are no fish in the American, people should not listen to these stories. Just stay home and tie some flies or something. Really do not waste your time out there. :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Scott's right.......................lots of rattle snakes and poison oak too.