PDA

View Full Version : Wealth of information.........Dennis Lee

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Yesterday we had the pleasure of having Dennis Lee stop by the shop. He is a retired veteran CA DF&G employee who is also a serious life long fisherman.

During his career he worked at the Nimbus fish hatchery then moved to a position where he worked on the CA lakes and reservoirs. He moved around the entire state and worked on many different project over his time with the CA DF&G.

Now retired Dennis says he is fishing almost daily now right around Sacramento.

Andy Guibord asked him about Smallmouth bass in moving water in California and Dennis gave us a run down on the entire state. It was exciting because over the past 40 years in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento I had heard little bits about many of these streams/rivers.

I asked Dennis to write us a paper listing these stream and he said he would work on it. When we get it we will put it up on the web site.

Dennis said that today we still have tons fishing in California. He also mentioned that the Internet has lots of info out there about it too.

We did talk about Smallmouth on the Lower Feather River which is very good in mid-summer. This is from Marysville downstream to the mouth where it flows into the Sacramento River. We will have to do that over-nighter float trip there this summer if we can in August?

We got real excited just talking about it................

Hairstacker
04-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Sounds great Bill, I know I'm not alone in saying I'm really looking forward to Dennis' paper! :D

I sure hope the paper can address the question of access a little -- many smallie streams in California run through a lot of private property and it can be quite a challenge just to figure out where to park. On the other hand, maybe that's asking for too much information for a public forum. . . . :-k

David Lee
04-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Uhhh ........ :?

The 'problem' w/ outing Smallmouth streams is ...

Some went thru a LOT of legwork/research to find these "secret" streams . To show up at a spot you found the hard way , and find the local shop/BB/club has sent the masses out to ..... that'll tend to leave you in not such a good mood .

The above statement isn't pointed at anyone . Just my opinion ....

David :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2008, 09:59 AM
We are thinking of the Lower Feather River which is pretty big but has no boat launch for over 20 miles from Star Bend down to the mouth for a BB group float/camp/eat/BS/fishing trip.

I think those little warm water hiking streams are too fragile to even talk about.

I think lots of the small float-able rivers have stretches that are good because the access is tough.

We heard about the Lower Merced River as being one of the best valley rivers for Smallies.

lee s.
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I like your thinking Bill.
....lee s.