PDA

View Full Version : Sunfish photos and descriptions -

David Lee
04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I will be planning a few dates this spring/summer to collect different Sunfish species for photos and decriptions - we need a database so I don't hear "I caught some Perch" anymore !

Anyone interested in 'collecting' all the different fish can sign on now for future trips (which will be flexable , as far as when/who/where) . I'm hoping Kienes will be able to put this information here on-line so people can avoid the confusion between Redears , 'Gills , Greenies , Sac Perch , etc. . Perhaps we can start a 'Sunfish-Slam' club ?

This is long overdue , IMO ..... :nod:

David :D

Scott V
04-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Little big fish on tiny poles, I am in. Bring on the fishes!

Terry Thomas
04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Sounds good. I'll lend a hand.
Terry

David Lee
04-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Sounds good. I'll lend a hand.
Terry

That'll be swell ! I enjoyed our all too brief chat today , hope we have a chance to do it more often :idea:

Scott -

My 4 wt. should be back from the Fenwick factory soon ..... we'll go hunt .

Ed Wahl
04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
David, you should see if you can get one of our photog guys in on this. High quality pics are a must. Since they are "sunfish" how about pics depicting the differences between Largemouth and Spotted Bass? As for Sacramento Perch, grrrrrrrrrr :twisted:, I still have an unsatisfied grudge against them. I'll have to even that score before long. Ed

David Lee
04-04-2008, 08:28 PM
As for Sacramento Perch, grrrrrrrrrr :twisted:, I still have an unsatisfied grudge against them. I'll have to even that score before long.

We ARE do for a rematch , yeah ????

Don't forget those bloodthirsty Redeyes :idea:

I wonder if Ben Bolden would be keen to shoot this one ? Not like we don't have several world-class Photogs on this board ........ :thumbsup:

Whenever you want to hit Lagoon Valley .......

Ed Wahl
04-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Maybe we should get us a little group affair for Lagoon Valley. Just let everyone know beforhand, no smoking in the park and,..............wait for it,..................your dog is not allowed to poop in the park. :lol: There's a sign. :lol: :lol: Gotta get a picture of that. :lol: Ole Rover'll just have to hold it in. :lol:

Oh yeah, the windier the better. If you can't fish from atop a 2 foot wave in a float tube then you just can't fish, and apparantly I just can't fish. :oops: Ed

Darian
04-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Think I'd rather go to Pyramid Lake to catch Sacramento Perch.... At least you can mix up the catch. 8) The wind's still a concern, tho. :wink: :wink:

David Lee
04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
OMG , the no Dog-crap sign ! I totally forgot about that one !!!

Honest ? I doubt many here (right .... ANYWHERE) would be willing to tube that chop . I think that trip will fall into legend .

You were on the other side of the Island when I hooked the dead Snake - I forgot about that one , also ... :puke:

David :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Darian -

Isn't P. closed to Cutty fishing when it's warm enough for Sac. Perch ??

David

ptychocheilus
04-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I've been taking fish photos for ID purposes for a little while now...
you might be interested in the following:

http://gallery.nanfa.org/v/members/Dave+Neely/

There's not many sunfish in the California section so far (only a Sac perch), but if you poke around, there's quite a few from other states, and in folders for other members. If you're into non-game fish then you might enjoy a few of these.

There's loads of sunfish pics in folders of other NANFA members on the same site -- but hey, I don't want to cut into your excuse to go throw some micro-poppers around!

cheers,
Dave

Ed Wahl
04-05-2008, 05:07 AM
Howdy Squawfish Dave, nice pics there. What do you use, a tank with a black background? We've got a bunch of natives that live up a little higher, have you done any work in the Sierra's? Ed

David Lee
04-05-2008, 09:03 AM
That's just STUNNING work Dave !!!!

Who the heck is Carassius auratus ?? That fella looks to be a Barramundi !?!

David =D>

SteelieD
04-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Sounds like fun! I've always wanted to take the 3wt out for a some fast and furious panfishin'!

This pic makes me glad I fish for trout though! :lol:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/SteelieD/IMG_2791.jpg

Those are cool pics dave!

Hairstacker
04-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm certainly interested, especially in a trip whose purpose it is to distinguish between smallmouth and spotted bass. All in the name of serving the public good, of course. :lol:

Hairstacker
04-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Actually, come to think of it, I'd be even more interested in a trip that serves to photographically document the subtle differences between adult and senior citizen smallies -- I think there is a real interest in that particular type of information. :lol:

Sorry, guess I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

David Lee
04-05-2008, 10:09 AM
..... come to think of it, I'd be even more interested in a trip that serves to photographically document the subtle differences between adult and senior citizen smallies ....

Another week or two , you'd better get up here :idea:

David :evil:

Hairstacker
04-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Another week or two , you'd better get up here

You know I'm planning on it. :evil: In fact, I was looking over the 2008 regs a couple days ago for just such a trip and it seemed like many of the intriguing smallie waters actually open either at the end of April or the end of May. . . .

Back to the subject at hand, I think your original idea of posting distinguishing photos of panfish is a GREAT idea, as I wholeheartedly agree there's a lot of confusion out there. I'd certainly be interested in such a trip as well. I vividly recall I myself once ignorantly referred to a redear as a bluegill on the NCFFB until you kindly taught me the differences. (By the way, I've never regretted making that gaff, as I recall it led to us e-mailing and becoming friends in the process. 8) 8) 8) )

In any case, I can just envision the planning phase for such a trip. . . "But I NEED to get a 3 wt. rod. . . for God's sake, it's for public service!!' :lol:

ptychocheilus
04-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Who the heck is Carassius auratus ?? That fella looks to be a Barramundi !?!

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

David, Carassius auratus is the common goldfish. They do get remarkably large out here. I was out chasing stripers near Franks Tract with a friend last spring, and we spotted several carp cruising across a flat. He happened to have a rod rigged for just such an occasion and one of the fish hit almost immediately, but once in the boat it was one of the biggest goldfish I've ever seen - carp have two barbels on each side of the upper jaw, while goldfish don't have any.

Ed, I use a couple of small tanks with a separate sheet of glass to "pin" the fish against the front pane, a piece of black foamcore leaning at an angle behind the tank, and a black glare shield around the camera lens to eliminate reflections on the front of the tank. Most pics still require touching up in Photoshop to get rid of bubbles, loose scales, bits of mucous, etc. I haven't made it to higher elevations yet, have only been in the Bay Area a year. It looks like I'm leaving soon, but I hope to squeeze in a bit more fish-catchin' before I go...

Dave

Ed Wahl
04-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Dave, if you want to try and get some good native trout pics just let me know, I've got plenty of spots. How long are gonna be here? Humping way too much gear into bad places is my favorite summertime hobby. Ed

kokaneejr
04-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey guys I would love to come along. Camera and Fly rod in hand. :D My only issue is work days off are in the middle of the week. Good for me and crowds but bad for fishouts. Lagoon Valley is not to far from me and I would love to learn some new tactics and haven't fished for perch yet. Let me know and I will see what I can do.....Craig.

p.s. Dave great shots :shock: those are not easy.

David Lee
04-18-2008, 05:30 PM
This is shaping up nicely !!

I've gotten several Emails and PM's (plus , the posts here) from boardies wanting to do the HARD job of collecting specimens (oh , the horror ....) , so I'll set a date after this weekend .

It doesn't hurt that I got my little 7 1/2 foot , 4 wt. Fenwick back from the factory today (they sent me a new one) - I killed the tip a few years ago fishin' Creek Bass w/ Hairstacker ....

I thought he was gonna cry when it broke :crybaby:

Anyhoo ..... you know the process after getting a new stick - get some slime and blood on it :evil: :idea:

What'll work best for y'all ?? Mid-week , or a weekend day ????

David :D :D :D

Hairstacker
04-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey David! Sundays through Wednesdays work best for me but I'm just gonna wait and see what everyone else decides and then do my darndest to make it. :D

Scott V
04-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Weekend for me is the best, work is a little crazy right now.

Scott V
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Headed to Cameron Park Friday night the 23rd to start the photo expedition, if anyone would like to assist me in catching and taking photos I will be there around 5:00 til dark. I am thinking of taking the pictures so that you can see the actual size by using the apron on my float tube that has a ruler on it. Are there any other particular poses or areas of the fish you would like to see Dave. I will include date, place, fly, and water temp along with my submissions.

gene goss
05-20-2008, 06:11 PM
I like to join you scott, we did a fishout last monday, and the bluegill were right on top. Here's a bad picture of a nice bluegill i caught monday evening. http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/bluegill5-19cameronpark2-1.jpg

David Lee
05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Scott -

Whatever you shoot will be fine ! Good hunting !

Gene -

That is a Green Sunfish/Bluegill hybrid . The body is too tall to be a pure Greenie (not that you asked for a correction , just thought you'd want to know) . Nice fish !!!!

David :)

Scott V
05-21-2008, 07:29 AM
I'll see you on Friday Gene, I was out on Sunday evening and was gettin them on top as well as on nymphs just under the surface. But nothing beats a little brut busting foam gurglers on top.

Hairstacker
05-22-2008, 01:28 PM
That's a nice fish Gene! May I ask why type of fly and hook size you got him on?

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok, so here's my contribution to this post... This gal was over 7" long, and caught her on a leech (according to "wiki", females have orange behind the operculum and males have bright red http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redear_sunfish ).

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/Tggr514/FlyFishing/RedEarSunfish.jpg
Redear Sunfish

David Lee
05-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Notice the membrane between the lips and the face - much more promenent than on a Bluegill (looks a little 'tube-like' ?) . Redears also have a sprinkling of 'freckley' scales (Gold/Yellow) over the gill cover and body .

Pretty good shot Robin , considering that the fish was trying like mad to escape your grip !!

Congrats on your first Sunfish - they sure are fun !!!!

David :D :D :D

Scott V
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Here is a monster for the record books. My guess it is your typical bluegill.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0501.jpg

Sacto John
06-20-2008, 08:25 AM
My guess it is your typical bluegill.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0501.jpg

I call those bass bait

Darian
06-20-2008, 11:25 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blood Knot
06-28-2008, 12:41 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/catchlp/sunfish1.jpg

I always called this a Golden Sunfish but then I read they were primarily an east coast fish and that golden’s preferred moving streams. Also read about a Common Sunfish that fists this description (Lepomis gibbosus) Looks like them when they are small but as they reach the size of this one they really don’t match to me.

I caught it on a 8wt with Bass popper which was surprising I had never seen one bigger then my palm in this pond

If you want some pictures of smaller ones I keep some in a 60 gallon tank aquarium. They all look pretty much the same.

David Lee
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Interesting fish , Bloodknot .

Looks to be yet another hybrid - part Green Sunfish (large-ish mouth , tipped bottom fins , and just a trace of neon Blue on the gill cover) , perhaps a part Redear (scattered freckled scales thru the body) , and some Longear Sunfish ( notice the extra-long flap on the gill cover ?) .

If you have a bunch of those close to home .... you might want to take a scale sample and send it to the DFG (Tristan ... where are you ?) .

Cool fish - thanks for sharing the photo !!

David :)

dux20
07-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Here's how we grow 'em in Texas. This Bluegill tipped the scale at 1lb 9oz. I hope this helps with the database.

-dux

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/download.php?id=27886

**can't figure out how to post a pic...help?**

Phil Synhorst
07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Holy Smokes Dux, that thing is huge!!!!!!!! Hope you still have all your digits intact. :D