PDA

View Full Version : Line recommendations

Scott V
04-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I have decided that I am going set up a reel for shad fishing. What is the best route to go. I will be using one of my 7 weights. Do I go with a shooting floating line with a couple of sink tips. It seems to be the smart way to go just for the one fact that it is easy to change sink rates to go where the fish are. Also can I expect to be taken to my backing by shad or will that rarely happen?

What set ups do others use. Any info would be greatly appreciated, this will be my first year to try for shad.

Jeff C.
04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Intermediate, Type 2, Type 3, Type 6 and Type 8 Shooting heads with Rio Slickshooter running line on a 6 wt single hand rod. Later in the season, a WF floating line with a regular leader or a poly leader. I also use a 6 wt spey rod with various 15 ft. tips. With the low water conditions this year on the American, I don't think you would have to go with anything heavier than a Type 3 head/tip. Jeff C.

David Lee
04-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Jeff has it covered pretty well ....

Heads - type I (don't neglect the I head/line - sometimes Shad ain't deep) , 3 , 5 (or 6) and leadcore .

Shad <usually> will not run into your backing - but when they get eaten by Stripe ...... they tend to go WAAAAAY downstream , so DO have backing (and solid connections , as well .) .

Good call on the 7 wt. - Shad WILL fight to the death , so don't go light . 8-12 Maxima works well . DO NOT take your Shad out of the water or handle them much , they are pretty 'tender' . Fish barbless and slide your hand down the leader , grasp the fly (be careful) , and shake those lil' critters loose . I will show you tonight how NOT to break your rod while removing a hook from a Shad ......

David :D

Scott V
04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
One more question, if I have a 7 weight rod, what weight shooting head do I get, do I up size or get a 7 weight shooting head?

Thanks for the info Jeff and David.

mike N
04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
David,

I use a differnet running line, but I forgot the name. :?

MN

David Lee
04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Scott -

It depends on what 7 wt. - most should be able to chuck between 200 grains and 300 grains (My Sage RPL-X likes 250-275 but will happily toss 351 gr. LC-13 heads if given a chance) . Bring it over sometime and we'll find out what it likes .....

Mike -

I've been using the Sufix 30 lb. Yellow stuff the past few trips , but have yet to hook anything , so I don't know yet if it's better than amnesia . I like the way amnesia handles , but the stretch at distance sucks big time .

Lines like the cortland QD 225 and 325 work well , same with the Rio DC 200 and 300 (all w/ floating running lines) . I actually prefer them to heads but they aren't as versitile .

David

Jeff C.
04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
The general rule for shooting heads is to overline by 1-2 weights but if you get the new Rio heads get the weight for your rod since they did the overlining for you. If you're fishing in a line-up (said like those at the Log Hole) a floating running line is less than desirable. Jeff C.

Scott V
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
If you're fishing in a line-up (said like those at the Log Hole) a floating running line is less than desirable. Jeff C.

Why is this and what would be a substitute. Sorry far all the questions and thanks for all the assistance.

Ed Wahl
04-02-2008, 06:42 PM
If your using a floating running line while fishing in a line up, Log Hole, Upper Goethe, etc., the fishers on the downstream side will have to wait until your drift is about done and hanging straight downstream before they can cast. Amnesia quickly sinks below the surface, allowing your buddies in line to cast at will. Ed

Darian
04-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Not gonna guarantee this but I think I read over on Blanton's BB that Rio has stopped making their shooting heads 2 sizes larger than marked (in other words a head marked ST8S would be an ST10S) and returned to standard markings. Be sure to confirm this with whoever you're buying from before picking up the line. 8) 8)

David Lee
04-03-2008, 06:29 AM
You are correct , Darian (as usual ....) .

Riomax heads were up-lined by 2 weights , the new Riomax 2 heads are not uplined .

David :D

Scott V
04-03-2008, 07:49 AM
So can I use my intermediate line which is a slow sinker and I mean real slow sinker for my main line then attach shooting heads.

Terry Thomas
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Scott,
Is it an intermediate "running line" or an intermediate full line? Diameter is the key point when setting up with shooting heads. The running line is the cheapest part of the whole system...don't skimp here. There are many ways to go from good ole Amnesia mono all the way to Monic (@5 to @30 bucks). Do it right the first time and you are set for several seasons.
T.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-03-2008, 09:11 AM
A shooting head system is one way to go.

Get a running line (either fly line or mono type) and a couple of 30' shooting heads to start.

Averagely, I like going over one size for wading and two sizes for out of a boat with shooting heads. This varies from rod to rod too.

Mono shooting line is about $5

New running lines with welded loops are $35.

New shooting heads with welded loops are $35.

Most use sinking (Intermediate) running lines out of boats.

Most use floating running line while wading.

__________________________________________________ _________

Others will have a couple of integrated sink-tips.

A 15' sinktip for slower, shallow runs and then a 'Teeny type' integrated sinktip (24' tip/head) for deeper, faster runs.

__________________________________________________ ________

PS: We have the 2007 Rio shooting heads on close-out for $20 ($35 reg). They are two sizes over.

Scott V
04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Terry,
It is a full intermediate line. I will look into the Amnesia mono, I happen to have some that I am using to tie shad flies, so I guess it would make sense to use amnesia line with my amnesia flies. 8)

Scott V
04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
PS: We have the 2007 Rio shooting heads on close-out for $20 ($35 reg). They are two sizes over.

I was planning on coming in today to look at those.

Jeff C.
04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
When using Amnesia as a running line and you are wading, line management is important because you can easily end up with a birds nest of mono. Make sure that you stretch yor Amnesia before you make your first cast to prevent some of the coiling loops. I personally like using Amnesia or Slickshooter for running lines with shooting heads. You definitely get more distance that with a floating running line. Jeff C.

Scott V
04-03-2008, 12:00 PM
But from what I am seeing, I should stay away from a floating line so others can cast without waiting for my line to be out of their way. I would rather have to work a little harder to get distance then use a line that may upset others. They will be upset with me for out fishing them so I should make sure my line is out of their way. :lol:

Scott V
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I have decided to go with amnesia and shooting heads. I was able to get a intermediate and T2 at Kienes for $20 a piece, and the amensia was under $5. I've tied up about a dozen flies so I am almost ready, bring on the fish.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. Tight lines to everyone.