PDA

View Full Version : Bahamas fly fishing guide

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-02-2008, 08:57 AM
http://www.bahamasflyfishingguide.com/index.html

The Bahamas are one of the top destinations for Bonefish in the world.

You could go there anytime but for a serious trip it looks like April/May ( the classic recommendation for the tropics) is still the best/safest time. March through June could be OK too. Mid-summer is not too good because of the amount of shallow flats that get too hot for the bonefish. In the winter, Dec/Jan/Feb you can have a cold front come down and cool off the flats so the fish go into the deeper water. Oct/Nov can be good but hat is the end of hurricane season.

I have not been there yet myself but have talked with many who have and have been studying it a lot for a while now.

Our friend Brian O'Keefe is an expert on the Bahamas. He likes Long Island for a DIY trip.

I had a long talk with Al Caucci who is an expert on Andros.

Recently I met Frank Catino who lives and guides in Florida and he told me more about the Bahamas.

Fred Gordon, local Nor Cal guide, has been fishing the Bahamas for many years now too.

Andros Island is one of the top destinations, especially for big fish, but there are many other great places to go in that giant chain of islands.

Wading for Bonefish on clear, shallow, white flats is pretty scecial.