PDA

View Full Version : Fish Ranchin'....

Darian
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Check out the link:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g2G8DsV-ivVwWdL98F6-TpAiF_VQD8VL6TV00

Fish ranchin' may be the way of the future. :? :? However, I'm reminded of an similar experiment in fish farming that was conducted on Wadell Creek in San Mateo County during the early 70's. The owner constructed a diversion channel, ladder and holding facility about 100 yards upstream of Hwy 1. The fish (Silvers/Steelhead?) were released from that facility for return at a later time. 8) 8) There was no sound involved in that operation.

Unfortunately for the owner, DFG wouldn't close the estuary to fishing and many of the returning fish were either caught by seals or fisherman. I'm not sure how long that operation lasted but it was closed when I went thru there in the early 80's. 8) 8)

Phil Synhorst
03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
This sounds kind of like a spin off of the gizmo I used to see being sold to entice fish into a feeding mode. Probably many of you have seen it. You drop the microphone in the water; set the control box for what sound you want, injured bait fish etc., and get ready for the fish to jump in the live well :lol: .

This idea though may be a bridge between standard fish farming(doughball toxic fish), and mostly healthy "wild" fish. From the looks of the article they are at least experimenting in the natural habitat of the sea bass :!: .

Of course if it does catch on, and the farmers loose "too many to predation", they can cry foul like the cattle ranchers and poison out the predators ](*,) ](*,). Sorry guys, the Dick Cheney thought process is gone now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: