PDA

View Full Version : carp on clousers

mar
03-22-2008, 04:59 PM
I did some exploring on the delta today hoping to run into some LMB's and spring stripers. Took my pram and fished the outgoing tide. I just drifted with the tide and blind-casted towards the bank. I picked up a 2-lb bass and a schoolie 3-lb striper the first 3 hours....slow fishing but at least no skunk. Found a little arm off the slough I was fishing and decided to explore. Marked a lot of fish suspended 5 feet from the top. A few huge carp started splashing around. Tossed the size 1/0 clouser for an hour or so...no hits. Switched to the other side of the slough and first cast, hooked up on a huge fish. First run took me straight to the backing. I thought this was going to be my biggest striper yet....got him close to the boat after a couple of blistering runs and saw a 'golden' shimmer. It was a carp, hooked in the mouth. Landed it after an epic fight and it was as thick as my thigh...maybe 12-15 lbs. The next hour yielded another 4 huge carp, all about 12-15 lbs. What a blast. Those suckers sure can fight. Bent my 9wt to the cork and dragged my pram around.
Me thinks I'll be back there again soon :-)

Ed Wahl
03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Yee Haw! Nantucket Sleigh Ride! I wouldn't have thought they'd hit a clouser, nice going. Ed

Jay Murakoshi
03-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Now when people tell you those are garbage fish, you can tell them of your experience. No fresh water fish will put up a fight pound for pound like the carp.

I might have to pay the Delta visit

Way too go

jay

Ed Wahl
03-22-2008, 09:25 PM
No fresh water fish will put up a fight pound for pound like the carp.

I don't know about that Jay, just think what a 12 to 15 pound Smallmouth would do. You could lose an arm.

The carp that I've fished for have all made a fool out of me. Can't say how many times I've had one rush over to my fly only to stop an inch away, eyeball it, then swim away. I think of all the warm water fish, this is the only one that you could describe as "thoughtful and deliberate". There's no such thing as trash fish. Ed

Mike Churchill
03-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I saw a number of carp jump this afternoon in Sycamore slough. They didn't hit my 2/0 clouser though. :(