PDA

View Full Version : Removing barb from small flies

FishyMe
03-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Any advice or recommendations on removing the barbs from small flies???

Thank you,

Rick J
03-21-2008, 03:23 PM
I always do this - a very small fly can really be a hassle to get a barb out of a fish without gumming up the fly - I just use my hemostats for small flies - the hemostats have a flat surface to pinch the barb - I don't like the serated surfaces

mike N
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Pinch the barb before you tie the fly. I have had hooks break on a couple flies while I was trying to pinch the barb. Now I always pinch the barb before I tie my flies.

MN

Ed Wahl
03-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Smooth jawed needle nose pliers seem to be the ticket. I keep a pair handy on my tying desk just for that purpose. I know people ( yeah you P.) that bought flies at a fly shop, then when pinching down the barb streamside had the hook point break off. My advice to him ( don't know if he took it) was to have the guys at the shop do that for him before he left the shop, that way he wouldn't be stuck. Bill K., is that something your guys will do or was I speaking out of turn there? Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Good one Ed.

We can pinch the barbs in the shop.

__________________________________________________ _______

This is a long story:

Many years ago most commercial flies were tied on Mustad hooks. The dry flies were tied on '94840s'. When the barb-less laws came out many had the front/point of the hook fall off after pinching down the barb.

This is what paved the way for the high quality Japanese hooks. They had smaller barbs that were easier to pinch with little or no breakage.

We will always have breakage from people hitting the flies on the rocks behind them.

__________________________________________________ ________

I would actually vote for complete barb-less flies and hooks but the hook/fly companies are "chicken". There are just enough people who want barbs to keep this from happening.

__________________________________________________ __________

Another issue is the fact that it is very hard to pinch down the barbs well enough that the game warden can't still get it stuck in his testing fabric. If they can get the hook to stick in their material they can fine you.

Phil Synhorst
03-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey Ed thanks for not outing me... #-o I just did it to myself!! :lol:, to avoid such headaches I know I really need to dust off the vise and start learning to tie again.

Bill, has there been much lobbying by the tying community and shops for barbless hooks? Seems to me that the majority of fly fishers go barbless, and as you pointed out even though you think you got a good crimp on the barb, it may not pass the cloth test. With the DFG putting more waters on barbless only regs., perhaps it's time the manufacturers rethink their position.