PDA

View Full Version : Pre-2002 Abel pt.5 6 wt Fly Reel. What are they worth?

FlyGuyTally
03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey guys,

New to the forums, and this seems to be one of the more knowledgeable ones out there.

I was curious, Im trying to move some of my fishing equipment, as I recently sold my boat and am moving from South Florida to Colorado, and Ive been ebaying things to see what they are worth. I found on Ebay the post-2002 Abel pt.5 6 wts are going for around $350, while the Pre-2002, the only one I could find, sold for around $120!

Is the market for the High gloss black finish standard vented Pre-2002 Abel pt.5 6 wt reels that low? or vice versa, is the market for the Super Spool post-2002 reels that high?

Sorry for what very well may be a simple question, I'm just trying to make sure I can get maximum value out of my stuff..

bigtj
03-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Ebay is fickle. One day you get more than it's worth, next day not so much. There are a lot of abels on the market, and with recession fears, people aren't necessarily willing to spend cash. Price it what you think it's worth and if it doesn't sell, be prepared to lower your price. $120 isn't near enough though. Somewhere in between the two figures you mentioned is probably a fair price.

Keep in mind you may want "maximum value" but the guys reading this post want the best deal they can get. If you don't offer a decent deal folks won't show any interest.

FlyGuyTally
03-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the asnwer. I'm not looking to jack up the price, but I know these are pretty valuable since they haven't made the solid spool glossy black Abel pt. 5s in a while, so this one thats never actually been fishing should be worthwhile.

So would something around the number of $260 be a fair asking price for this reel including the backing already on?

Thanks,
Ryan