PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco report (3-17)

gene goss
03-18-2008, 12:45 AM
My friend Jim H. and myself launch at the last parking lot on the Northeast cove. We didn't see any fish, so we kicked up to the North boat ramp, we didn't see any fish so we kick down to the south boat ramp. I hook 5 fish, and landed 2 trout (18inches), 2 LDR, and one broke off. Jim got a nice bass on the way back to the car. A size 8 wiggle tail black was my hot fly with intermediate line. Ed W. i saw you land a nice fish what fly was you using. GENE 8)

Ed Wahl
03-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi Gene, nice meeting you guys out there, sounds like you should have some tired legs after that. My hot fly( it caught one fish) was a brown b/h Wooley Bugger, stripped in very fast just under the surface. Fish started rising around 6, but so sporadic I couldn't really target one specific fish. After creating the biggest fly line snarl of my life I gave it up around 7.

The lake was heavily planted over the weekend for the trout derby and the catching has been only so-so, there's still a ton of trout, some of them quite large, swimming around in there. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Rancho Seco is a nice place to fish. I like the clear water.

This next few weeks could be real good.

My buddy Chuck Campana fishes there a lot. He uses a 15' leader in that clear water.

You need to move around until you find the spots where the trout have schooled up.

The nice thing about a small stable boat is that you can stand up and look down into the water and spot the fish with Polarised glasses.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
After the GBF delta fishout, I think I want to give Seco a try. I'm not real fond of float tubes, but I guess I'll never get any better at it unless I keep trying :lol: ! Maybe it'll be good practice for the club's Fuller Lake fishout in June... 8)

Scott V
03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
After the GBF delta fishout, I think I want to give Seco a try. I'm not real fond of float tubes, but I guess I'll never get any better at it unless I keep trying :lol: ! Maybe it'll be good practice for the club's Fuller Lake fishout in June... 8)

Robin, there is one important thing to remember about Seco, it gets really windy out there, if the wind is blowing 10 mph here in Sac, it is more than double at Seco.

gene goss
03-25-2008, 06:55 AM
I fished the Northeast corner yesterday, and got ZIPed. The water temp. was 64 degrees, i seen a lot of empty bass beds (to bad) it looks like a lots of bass was caught over the weekend. If there is any trout left they might be found in the deeper water.

BigBuddha
04-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Anybody been there lately?