PDA

View Full Version : Comin To Calif.

Givati
03-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi,
A buddy and I are coming to the Sierra Foothills from Colo. in Sept. to do some wine tasting. I mentioned to a fly fishing friend of mine who told me that I'd be crazy not to hit the Sac river. I know nothing about that area other than the wine. Can I get some info from ya'll? Is there decent fishing around Sacramento city? I noticed some monster salmon being taken form what is called the Lower Sac. Is that north of Sacramento?

Thanks,
Peter

David Lee
03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Welcome to the board Peter !

I doubt we will have a Salmon season this year , populations have crashed and they are in big trouble .

If you can find the time ..... search this site for last years reports (August , September , October) - you will see what everyone fishes for , where they do it , how to , etc. .

Good luck !!

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-17-2008, 09:40 AM
You might try for some "Halfpounder" Steelhead in September in the Lower American River which flows right though Sacramento. It is best early and late in the day that time of year.

Let us know what wineries you will be visiting or where you will be overnighting and we can give you more ideas.

If you have more days off to fish seriously you can try the Pitt River (4 hours) then for wild Rainbow trout or go to the Klamath River ( 6 hours)for Halfpounder Steelhead.

caltagm
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
...or the Truckee (1 1/2 hours) don't forget!!

Givati
03-17-2008, 02:36 PM
You might try for some "Halfpounder" Steelhead in September in the Lower American River which flows right though Sacramento. It is best early and late in the day that time of year.

Let us know what wineries you will be visiting or where you will be overnighting and we can give you more ideas.

If you have more days off to fish seriously you can try the Pitt River (4 hours) then for wild Rainbow trout or go to the Klamath River ( 6 hours)for Halfpounder Steelhead.

Well, we will be staying in Arnold Ca. My buddy and his wife have a timeshare there. We plan to hit the wineries in the El Dorado region. We'll be there for a week. I mapquested drive times from Arnold to Sacramento. Said 2 hours. From Arnold to Folsom 1 hr 50 min. Where does one access the American? Oh, and what is a "Halfpounder"?

Scott V
03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
A halfpounder is a steelhead about 18" long. As for accessing the American River that is easy, along hwy. 50 you will find the following streets, Watt Ave., Sunrise Blvd., and Hazel Ave. Those will all put you on the river. The American river runs right through Sacramento and adjoining cities. Trust me when I say you will not miss it.

Phil Synhorst
03-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Peter, if you're going to be in the El Dorado/Amador county area, there is plenty of good Sierra stream fishing with not much drive time involved.

Like the other locations, just ask a week or so before you come out and you should be able to get some good reports.

Good Luck, Phil

El Rey
03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Peter, spend one day in the high country up Hwy 4 from Arnold. Up towards Ebbitts Pass there is Lake Alpine right next to the road. The North Fork of the Stanislas River is accessible in a few places. Up near the top of the pass are some small lakes and streams.

If you go over the pass you will hit the East Carson River. Along the road it is put and take fishing. But once you cross at Hangman's Bridge the river leaves the road and it is all catch and release for wild trout downstream.

Check in again as it gets closer and your plans have firmed up.

PS: You don't have to go to El Dorado County for nice wineries. On Hwy 4 at Murphys is a good one. Then follow Hwy 49 towards Placerville. But at Plymouth, turn right and you'll enter the Shenedoah Valley. Lots of really good wineries there. This is Zinfandel and Barbera country.

Tony Buzolich
03-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Even with all of the talk about closing the salmon seasons almost all of the discussion has focused on the Offshore or Ocean fish.

The fish will still be coming in to our rivers and whether we take and keep any is still up for debate.

But, for those who would like to take a salmon on a fly, I'm sure it will still be possible on the Feather or the American or the Trinity. You may or may not be allowed to keep your catch as a means of increasing the returning fish, but , then again most of us practice catch and release anyway so keeping a fish is a mute point.

I don't know what the counts are at the Nimbus hatchery but the Oroville hatchery on the Feather always seems to max out.

Catching a salmon on a fly is quite an experiance that few folks ever get to enjoy.
TONY
www.feather-river-fly,com

Givati
03-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks for all the info ya'll. We are all getting excited to come out.

About the fishing. I live in Denver and my friends live in Steamboat, so we get allot of good trout fishing in. That's why I initially asked about the Sac and salmon. When I saw pics of those beasts you all catch my eyes popped out of my head. And then when I realized that Sept was a good time for salmon I almost got a woody. That's an experience we never get here in Co. That's why the interest. We are both catch and release guys, but we might keep one for dinner since we're in a condo and have to cook for ourselves.

About the wine. We are equally as excited about the wineries and the area. My buddy and I are wine hobbyists. He is a head chef in Steamboat as well so really looking forward to the experience. We will definitely hit all the wineries in Murphys and will branch out from there. And I love Zin!\

Squigly Worm
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Lodi, CA can offer great local wineries. I can't offer any personal knowledge about wines, but have buddies that grow acres of grapes for a few wineries. It's my understanding that Lodi is the Zinfendel capital of the world. Good luck on your adventurous outing out here!

Regards,
Shawn Hiatt
Squigly_Worm

P.S. I hate fish hooks!