PDA

View Full Version : Bill King in Oregon

OregonSalmon
03-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Unfortunatly the southern border of Oregon is without adequate patrols and the famed Bill King of California leaked through the cracks. The scourge from the south has delagated me far too many jobs and taken over my apartment. I cook, I clean, tie the flies, a balance while wading, a guide, a political advisor and overall manservent. I now know why slavery was abolished. Welcome to Walmart.

Since he defended our nation in the war of 1812 against the raging Canadians I feel obligated to honor his service for upholding the democracy we so cherish in this great nation. Though he is trying at times, in my heart of hearts, I feel the dinosour needs food and deserves to at least torment for awhile one steelhead. Considering his fishing skills and in the trillion to one chance there is a steelhead crazy enough to get tangled in web of fishing deceit I will believe in a gracious Supreme Being. The upside is if this mythical task is achieved I will no longer have to buy waders, a boat, or even wade for I'll be able to walk on water.

The road is unpaved with many forks, yet I have confidence this miracle can be acheived. My hope is as endless as the universe, my optimism burning like the face of the sun. At this moment I felt a twich in my arm that can only mean two things: Bill has found his bounty or a mild stroke. Too close to call.

Who the hell am I kiddin"!!! I can only lie so long unlike far too many politicians. His tenacity is amazing. If I don't blow my brains out before the ripe age of 81 I'd be damn proud to put out the effort Bill does each day. That boy isn't going down without a fight. Probably won't be with a fish though.

-"Nothing is lost if you know where to find it".....Galen Geller Sr

David Lee
03-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey G.G. -

Didn't Bill King hold the flyrod Striper record for years ?? I think the fish came out of the mouth of the Feather in a drought year ....

I see you made it thru another Winter - well done !

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Bill King did drive up to the front door of my old fly shop in maybe 1977? in his baby blue VW bug. He said he caught a big one at the mouth of the Feather River wading, which was one of our favorite spots.

He opened the trunk (in the front) of his VW bug and they lay a "sleeping" 32# Striper taken on a fly.

Now Galen Geller Jr (Oregon Salmon) will have to tell you of the endless nights he spent up at the mouth of the Feather River on the big sand bar one spring many years ago.

David Lee
03-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Now Galen Geller JR (OR Salmon) will have to tell you of the endless nights he spent up at the mouth of the Feather River on the big sand bar one spring many years ago.

I can only imagine the 'skeeto bites he was covered in ...... :evil:

David :D

Garfly
03-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Bill King did drive up to the front door of my old fly shop in maybe 1977? in his baby blue VW bug. He said he caught a big one at the mouth of the Feather River wading, which was one of our favorite spots.

He opened the trunk (in the front) of his VW bug and they lay a "sleeping" 32# Striper taken on a fly. Bill did have the world record on a fly in a tippet class for that fish for a while.

Now Galen Geller Jr (Oregon Salmon) will have to tell you of the endless nights he spent up at the mouth of the Feather River on the big sand bar one spring many years ago.

Wow, he really was a talented "Gonzo" style storyteller.....I would really like to know more about this quest/sabbatical that he spent on the sandbar...how many nights ?...and what was he pursuing? .........anyone want to tell a fishing story about this incredibly creative man?.........AND ,if he has hundreds of rambling pages of fishing/life articles that he squirreled away..... then they might find an audience, if sorted through???--I sure as hell am a fan of fascinating writing!

I sure as hell am a fan of fascinating writing!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2013, 02:30 PM
In the mid-1970s Galen Geller went up to the sand bar at the mouth of the Feather River where it flows into the Sacramento River and fished all night long for two weeks, all by himself.

The quest was to get into a "big school" of spring run spawning Stripers heading up river to around Colusa, California.

After about two weeks he finally hit the jackpot and said he was almost passing out from exhaustion.

Wish he could have told the story.....

gene goss
03-11-2013, 09:18 AM
The story that Bill King told me about the striper, is that he was fishing for shad at the mouth of the Feather River and using 8lb tippet for shad fishing.....what a suprise that was.
I think Al Perryman held the record for 8lb tippet for a 24lb striper caught on the American River before that.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Ron Hayashi was fishing for American Shad at the mouth of the Feather River with a Shad fly and 8# test tippet and caught a Striper over 40#. I think it was a record for a while too. Ron had it mounted.

I know of Al fish caught in the winter in the American. It was the record for it's line class for some years too.

When Bill King came to my shop with the over 30# Striper in his trunk he had cut off the leader with the fly attached and some of the fly line so he could send it in for the IGFA record. The fly was a black eel pattern tied on a salmon siwash hook.

gene goss
03-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Ron Hayashi was fishing for American Shad at the mouth of the Feather River with a Shad fly and 8# test tippet and caught a Striper over 40#. I think it was a record for a while too. Ron had it mounted.

I know of Al fish caught in the winter in the American. It was the record for it's line class for some years too.

When Bill King came to my shop with the over 30# Striper in his trunk he had cut off the leader with the fly attached and some of the fly line so he could send it in for the IGFA record. The fly was a black eel pattern tied on a salmon siwash hook.

Your right Bill .....i forgot about Ron....i guess i got the stories mix up....thanks for helping another old fart with remembering the right fishing stories.