PDA

View Full Version : Good All-around Saltwater Reel???

BJG
03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I was given an Orvis Large Arbor Big Game IV reel this last Christmas, but I haven't used the reel so still have the option of returning it to Orvis. I figured I would write this post to get the opinions of some saltwater anglers more experienced than I (which doesn't take a lot of experience). The following will be my primary uses of the reel:

- Florida: primarily fishing for Redfish and Snook (I travel to Florida on average about 2 times per year)
- Bonefish and Permit: the occasional trip further south in Florida of to Mexico
- Salmon/Steelhead: I live in Washington so will target these fish most often, but want a reel that I can use in the warmer saltwater as well

Is the Orvis reel a pretty good all-around reel for what I described or should I be looking for at something else? Thanks for any advice.

BJ

Darian
03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Ahhhh yessss,.... The old X-mas gift return.... :lol: :lol: Anyway, I have no personal experience with this reel but.....

Orvis is an old established company. Aside from the fact that Orvis products are high end (in terms of cost), they are usually of good quality. 8) 8)

You'll, undoubtedly hear a bunch of suggestions about other brands/types of reels here. My vote is to try the reel. You just might like it. :) :) If you don't like it, it'll give you an excuse to look at/buy another. :evil: :evil:

jbird
03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
BJ

I think that reel will be fine for what you want to do. If you didnt have a reel yet and asked the same question I dont think that reel would be on my list, but thats not to say it wont work just fine. If you were fishing every day of your life for bonefish and permit, or stripers and bluefish, I would recommend an upgrade to something more tried & true in heavy salt abuse.

Jay

TaylerW
03-13-2008, 12:57 AM
thats a great reel, i work for an orvis dealer and it is on of our best selling reels. i am a big fan of the ross momentum also

john
03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
I think that reel is a good choice for the reds ands snook, and probably the steelhead/salmon. I be a bit concerned about the drag and capacity if the bones and permit are of any size. MX ok, but FLA?? not so sure. JOHN

mems
03-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Aloha good reel for light use. I have friends who like the reel. I know they have had drag problems with extended use on large fish. If you aren't chasing pelagics or GT's and for the species you mentioned and for the few times you might get a large bonefish, then I would say it is a good reel for your purposes. If you want a tank, I would get a tibor or a TFO Terry Hayden, but I am a sales rep for TFO so I am biased. Good luck, Mems.

BJG
03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I was actually at a local fly shop yesterday and of course they brought up two reels that nobody has mentioned yet: the Galvan Rush and the Nautilus Featherweight 7+. Anyone have any experience with either of these reels, or any specific reels that are in that $300-350 price range that they have absolutely loved having. Thanks again for the help.

Lucky
03-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Nautilus are awesome reels. The Orvis rel is a ver nice reel. The big game is basically the old Mach reels drag system.

jbird
03-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I am going to take this opportunity to say something about Nautilus. I had a small problem with my Nautilus reel that turned into a giant, hair graying nightmare, due to horrendous customer service by Nautilus. They had my reel three different times over the past 6 months. They litterally have had the reel more than I have since I've owned it. I've been plainly lied to, swept under the rug and just treated like dirt by Nautilus. I finally have the reel back (as of last week). Havnt had a chance to test it yet but my hopes arent very high.

Sorry for the highjack there..I just thought you should know what could happen if you deal with Nautilus.

If you have $350 to spend you have a ton of options....

Bauer
Galvan
Lamson
TFO
Ross
Redington
Sage

...to name a few. Again, I would keep what you have. Orvis has great customer service so if you do have a problem, it shouldnt be a problem.

Just make sure you post your reports here so we can all see how it works :wink: :D

Jay

jlmelend
03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I've been using the LA VI with my 8 weight spey for Striper fishing and steelheading in No. Cal. and have no problems with it. It's my first big game reel though, so I have no comparison and it's a bargain for an orvis reel that can hold A TON of Dacron backing with a long belly windcutter spey line.

TaylerW
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
let me reiterate, ROSS. i own two momentums and they have always gotten them to me wihtin a week of turnaround time. yes, i know its a $400 reel without ball bearings but i find that if your drag has bearings and it gets a good dunk in sand your cooked. the drag system on the momentum is simple and of behemoth proportions, it withstoodour "turck test, in which i put it on a 14 wt and attached the leader to the towhitch of my 2500. it succeeded, at mako speed nonetheless.
ROSS
best of luck
tayler