PDA

View Full Version : Thingamabobber

easymends
03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I used these indicators this weekend steelhead fishing, they are hands down the best indicators I have ever used. No floatant required, and are great to cast in the wind.

http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=flyshop&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WW33TBSI0755

Scott V
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
How much do they weight?

easymends
03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Literally nothing, imagine a balloon that size made out of plastic.

SteelieD
03-12-2008, 04:11 PM
A second for that. They are awesome! Come is a couple of sizes, the little ones are pretty sufficient for all but the really choppy water. I love bobber fishing! :D

Adam Grace
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I was wondering about those things, good to hear. Anyone else have experience with those bobbers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2008, 09:15 PM
We have them in stock now..............in all 3 sizes.

They are goofy looking but are selling like hotcakes.

Skunked again
03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi guys- this is my first post. Interestingly enough it's in the new products category, as I'm not at all into the "products" side of fly fishing.

I too use an indicator like that that utilizes "trapped air technology", and the ones I use are about 1/500th the price. It's called a water balloon, and you can pick the up a pack of 100 at the dollar store during the right time of year. You can make them as small as pea or big enough to float the titanic, and they come in an array of colors to match light and water conditions.

The trick is attaching them to the line. My dad came up with the ingenious solution of tying the balloon around a small rubber "o-ring" and attaching the o-ring to your leader just like you would a yarn indicator. It's secure, it's adjustable it's free!

Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll show you what I mean as my description is probably rather confusing.

sacrivertrout
07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi guys- this is my first post. Interestingly enough it's in the new products category, as I'm not at all into the "products" side of fly fishing.

I too use an indicator like that that utilizes "trapped air technology", and the ones I use are about 1/500th the price. It's called a water balloon, and you can pick the up a pack of 100 at the dollar store during the right time of year. You can make them as small as pea or big enough to float the titanic, and they come in an array of colors to match light and water conditions.

The trick is attaching them to the line. My dad came up with the ingenious solution of tying the balloon around a small rubber "o-ring" and attaching the o-ring to your leader just like you would a yarn indicator. It's secure, it's adjustable it's free!

Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll show you what I mean as my description is probably rather confusing.

How often do they get "popped"?
The thingamobber is a real cool bobber

Skunked again
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
They don't get popped too often. If you're plowing through a forest of blackberry bushes there's a good chance it will get snagged and popped, but your waders won't survive either. Except for blackberries though, they pretty much never get popped. They do lose air over time so an individual indicator may only be good for a couple of days, but at a penny a piece, and only about 10 seconds to make a new one, it's not a really big deal.

Mike O
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I like my ultra-small red and white bobber. kinda reminds me of my roots, and I enjoy the stares of the ffers who are using the river detectives, or foam or yarn, etc. Works really well, too, just like you remember from when you were a kid. Adustable??? just pinch and slide...you want the fish to see a dark color or a light color??? Just flip it over.

In case you think they won't work...I caught hyper-finicky fish on the South Platte in Colorado this month...and that was after never really fishing nymphs (previous to this, the only fish I had caught on a nymph were suicidal).

Try it...at least you may stop calling it "indicator nymphing"....I like the bobicating tag, myself.

MAO

WT
08-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I will weight in on this topic. I recently used these style of indicators on a trip I took on the Yakima river in Washington state, and I really liked them. I found them to be suprisingly sensative. I have used a number of different indicators and I found the thingamabobber indicators to be the easiest for me to use.

Bernard
09-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Generally I still resist all "indicator" fishing via the Hopper/Dropper approach but if I must, I opt for the softer landing of a yarn indicator. Of course, this is not a big issue on larger and busier water right? As for the balloon, I have seen the teeth of a brown pop one. Yep, the fish took the balloon. The bubbles and UW explosion was rather humorous.

All that said I recently caved and tried the thingamabobber and "fear" that it just might have its place in this nuttyness known as fly fishing. Worked great.

B

Ed Wahl
09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Mao, you're my hero. I'm sure with a long enough drift so's to not spook the fish you could even use one as large as a baseball. That ought to get you a few looks. Ed