PDA

View Full Version : Quagga and Zebra Mussels treatment?

Dave Neal
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
The scariest invasive species yet...

http://troutunderground.com/2008/03/12/new-method-to-combat-zebraquagga-mussel-infestations/

Just saw this on www.Thetroutunderground.com Tom got it from the Aquafornia blog...

Darian
03-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Very good link to a lot of CA water info. Related websites as well. I especially liked to auquafornia website. :D :D

Dave Neal
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, Darian the www.Troutunderground.com is a great blog. Tom Chandler is an excellent writer and it's always good for some news and a laugh too.

I got turned on to the www.Aquafornia.com site from reading The Underground. There is an amazing amount of news and info compiled on that site, for all over California.

The w.w.web is pretty amazing, at times.

davkrat
03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Don't hold your breath on getting that any time soon in California. I'm not sure if they are working on a classical biological control program of releasing an organism that attacks a specific target pest or trying to develop the chemical released by the bacterium. Here in California we have to wait for Dept. Pesticide Regulation to register a pesticide before it can be used. This usually happens after the US EPA federally registers a pesticide. I am not sure what treatment "green/organic" pesticides get. If they are trying to release a new biological control agent that could take a very long time. At work whenever we want to release a new biological control agent it is a very long process of host specificy testing. You don't want to release something to target one organism and have it turn in to a bigger pest of a non-target organism. This is what happined with Mongooses in Hawaii. They were released to attack introduced snakes that were feeding on nativebird eggs. Truns out mongoose would rather eat bird eggs than snakes. Here is a little information on my Department's Biological Control Program:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/biocontrol/bc_whoweare.htm

Hopefully this "biopesticide" will be effective and people won't get upset about another "poison" in our waterways. It may take a while for it to be available here in CA. I have gone to so many conferences where they announce new chemistries for invasive species control and it always ends with "federal registration by the end of the year and California registration sometime in the future..." In the mean time we all need to watch our equipment as we move between waterbodies and make sure there is no standing water of any kind left in your boat. The quagga mussel veligers apparently can live in live wells, ballast tanks of wakeboard boats, cooling systems, jets, etc.

Dave Neal
03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you Davkrat. That was a lot of great info. I would also like to stress the importance of prevention vs. treatment. I hope these mussels don't spread anywhere else...

David Lee
03-15-2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=577532

David

Ed Wahl
03-15-2008, 06:47 PM
We need some of them rock and rollers to control the Canada Goose populations at Bass ponds and golf courses. Ed

Darian
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Ed,.... Ever ate a goose (any type) :?: :?: :?: You could probably walk up and grab one, ring 'is neck, throw 'im in the trunk and cook 'em.... 8) Sorta like Ted Nugent. :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course, there's all of those messy feathers to deal with.... but some very good eatin'. :D :D

Ed Wahl
03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Not as good as you would think. Very dark, strong tasting meat. I've heard smoked is ok, maybe I should whack a few with a golf club and find out. Ed