PDA

View Full Version : Camera Brand Poll

Adam Grace
03-10-2008, 08:55 AM
I am curious about which brands of cameras that people own here.

Please specify whether it is a point ant shoot or SLR. If you have more than one camera enter the brand of your favorite.

My favorite is my 40D, but I really like my Canon A570IS for a nice everyday point and shoot camera. For fishing I love my waterproof Pentax Optio W10.

Scott V
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I have the Pentax Optio W30 and love it. But I would give my right arm for what you and Bolden have.

Matt Frey
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Pentax Optio W10

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
In general I like Canon digital cameras.

They seem to be the most popular around the shop.

Seems like DSLRs choices are mostly Cannon and then Nikon but some like Olympus too.

For a small point and shoot for underwater most are going to use the Pentax WP or the Olympus WP. If Canon made a small water proof I would probably buy it.

I think digital still photography is fantastic as we can all see here on our BB.

I see many going to digital video too.

SteelieD
03-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I checked Nikon, but I am all over the board. The current (and foreseeable future!) line up is...

Nikon D50 SLR w/ a couple of lenses
Pentax Optio W10
Canon SD1000 point and shoot

All are great in their own application, but if I had to pick only one, it'd probably be the little Canon. Amazing pictures in a killer little package.

bolden
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
D300 w/ just a few lenses and my underwater fishing camera, the pentax optio w10.

Adam Grace
03-11-2008, 12:16 AM
If I could only buy one brand for the rest of my life it would easily be Canon. I had been a fan for a while, before working at Best Buy, but I have received so many good comments about Canons over the past 3 years working at Best Buy that I know just how consistent their picture quality is. There are other good digi-cam manufactures out there but I'll stay loyal to Canon.

davkrat
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I have had three Canon DSLRs now from the D60, the EOS 1D MkII and now the 1D MkIII. In the early years Canon's CMOS sensors were the only proprietary sensor that was made by the camera manufacturer. ALL other brands including Nikon used CCDs made by Sony. Essentially you were buying a set of camera controls wrapped around a similar imaging chip. I believe that has now changed. I used to religiously/obsessively keep up on new models and features. Now there are so many cameras that far surpass the performance of what an average person could do with a film camera even a decade ago. I will say that every time I have handed a newby a Canon camera they very quickly can find their way around the controls, Nikons if you are familiar with them are fine but first time users, myself included, have a hard time navigating the buttons. I do know that in the 80’s I believe Nikon really screwed over a bunch of people when they switched lens mounts making people’s expensive collections of glass obsolete when they bought the newest camera body. Regardless of what model you use the instant feedback and ability to shoot away without worrying about cost of film and development make digital cameras much better teaching tools. I figured I paid for my first digital camera in 6 months figuring the cost of film and development. I never would have justified shooting that many frames without my digital camera. Being able to run a few tests of exposure, aperture, DOF, etc. and then run in to the house download the images and see results right away while your mind is fresh is a huge benefit. Also with a basic EXIF reader you always have a record of the adjustments you made.

Rob
03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
owned over the years

1 -Top-Con unirex
2- Olympus OM -1
3-Olympus Om- 2
4- nikon FE
5-nikon FM

Now i have !!

Nikon Cool-pix 4300 point and shoot

Nikon F2 SLR film (1971)

Canon 20D SLR

Saving for a canon 5D !!!!!!!!

Canon GUY all the way now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bolden
03-12-2008, 12:41 AM
I do know that in the 80’s I believe Nikon really screwed over a bunch of people when they switched lens mounts making people’s expensive collections of glass obsolete when they bought the newest camera body.

That was actually canon who did that, changing from the old FD mount to a bigger mount, which they still use. It seems today that it was probobly a good idea, but back then it must have created some angry people.

Nikon's F-mount has been around forever basically, and that is one thing Nikon people love. You can get some great Nikon glass from ages ago that works incredibly on new cameras, and for the most part they are dirt cheap. My macro lens is a vivitar series 1 90mm from 1976, such a wonderful lens.

davkrat
03-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Sorry I got my wires crossed. I told you I don't pay a lot of attention to this stuff any more. I was probably only 10 years old when that happined so I don't personally remember. A few years ago someone on DPreview.com mentioned a change in lens mounts. I just looked into it and apparently that switch, in reality was a good thing as more and more pros switched to Canon cameras after the new mount came out. Sorry for the mistake on my part, it wasn't the first and certainly won't be my last.

larsj
03-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Happy Nikon owner. Currently with a D70 and some good glass. I should be getting a D300 sometime this year. --Lars

Dustin Revel
03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Had the canon dig rebel xt... not impressed
now own the nikon d80... very impressed, now i just need some decent glass

Dustin Revel
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
oh by the way I have a sigma 17-70mm canon mount lens if anyone is interested... $295