PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Pram or Jon Boat

Phil Synhorst
03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey Everyone,

I've been hunting for a small watercraft for a few weeks now. Usually by the time I see one on Craig's List or in the paper it's gone. Looking for something in the 8 to 10ft. range, $400 or so.

If anyone has or knows of something close let me know.

Thanks, Phil

p.s. I can handle criticism, so tell me if it's just a pipe dream :D

Scott V
03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Get a pontoon, trust me you won't regret it. The control I have is second to none, plus you get to have your feet in the water, which on a hot day is nice. And when it gets cold you just wear waders. And don't forget, you can put a pontoon in the average car trunk. IF you want to try mine out let me know, we can meet over at Cameron Park and you can give it a try.

TaylerW
03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
i have an outcast fishcat 9ft dlx for sale, its in perfect condition. its green and comes with oars and a double action pump. i would like around 350, but its not firm at all.
best regards,
Tayler

Jay Murakoshi
03-09-2008, 07:48 PM
What size pram and do you want fiberglass or aluminum

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2008, 08:37 PM
You just have to be patient.

pgw
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Take a look at these:

I have one like this-
http://humboldt.craigslist.org/boa/595448316.html

I don't know if this is the same seller or not-
http://humboldt.craigslist.org/boa/581960060.html

I have had a handful of prams (8', 10', & 12') over the years and one pontoon...everything is gone now except the 8' mini drifter. Just like Bill says, wait...sooner or later one that you can use will come along.

Have fun

Paul

bp
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Phil

I have a pram that would meet your objectives. My wife would LOVE to see it go. Don't see why we could not come to a fair agreement :-).

I sent you a PM so you could reply to me by email or cell or I guess post a reply here.

Brent

Phil Synhorst
03-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey Scott, I may take you up on that when we finally meet I've always thought the pontoons were a sweet little craft. But I think I need to get something that will allow me to take 1 or both the kids out when they get itch, they are 7 now and hounding me to go fishing :D.

Little Striper, thanks for the offer, but gotta pass on a toon (at least for now :wink: ).

Jay, I'm looking for something 8 or 10ft. I've been looking at alum., I don't really know much about fiberglass, durability and weight vs. alum. If you could educate me that would be great.

Bill, yeah I'm 38 and that patience thing is still a bugger sometimes :D . I know something will come along soon. Just frustrating to get home from work, see a post and call only to hear that it sold a few hours before.

Hey BP, sent ya a pm.

Thanks for the help guys, Phil

Darian
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Phil,.... There's a couple of considerations which haven't been mentioned that apply when attempting to make up your mind whether to get a pram or a pontoon boat.

First, in a pontoon, you're gonna get wet. Even if it is only your feet. Unless you cover your feet adequately, you'll get cold due to heat transfer (your feet are in the water). In a pram, you don't have to get wet unless you choose to do so.

Second, you can't stand up in a pontoon boat to make a cast of any great length if that's important to you.

I've fished out of float tubes and a TPL dinghy for around 20 years and found that I'm definitely a devotee of prams. Weight is a big consideration in selecting a pram. If you're planning on car-topping a pram, a fiberglass pram will weigh a lot more at the end of the day (when you have to lift it up on top of your vehicle) than it did in the AM when you take it off for launching. Generally, aluminum is a lighter material. A more expensive alternative might be a pram made of kevlar.

Finally, you never have to blow up a pram or worry about leaks while out on the water.

Just food for thought.... 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
03-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I have the same as Darian. My TPL pram is a circa '73 model. It weighs around 65lbs and is easy to put in and out of the bed of my pickup. I actually have two of them and looking to buy a Valco pram. Ok, so I collect a lot of toys.
Like Darian mentioned it's a bitch to try and lift something heavy after a long day of fishing, I know, I did that today.

Only a few stripers at the Forebay.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Phil,

If I can find the number of the guy selling the Valco, I'll give it to you. If I remember right, it was an 8' Aluminum and he was asking $400.00

Jay

bp
03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Phil

Just sent you an email with pictures.

bp

Squigly Worm
03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I am also looking for a fishing pram. I prefer one that could fit 1 1/2 people (my 4yr son and I). Either wood or aluminum would be fine unless the message board response influences one more than the other.

Any info is appreciated.

Regards,
Shawn Hiatt
Squigly_Worm

P.S. I hate fish hooks!

Darian
03-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Squig...., I'm not sure I understand why you would consider only wood and aluminum :? :? Wood is probably heavier than than fiberglass, Kevlar and aluminum. Also, it requires a great deal more maintenance than any of the others.... :? :? Is price a consideration??? are you planning car-topping or trailering this pram??? Do you want a new or used pram???

At any rate, the old TPL dinghy's are now being produced by Keaton's on Folsom Blvd., in Sacramento under another model name. I fished with myself and another adult in the 8' model in both lakes and rivers. No problems experienced. These dinghy's are very stable; a prime consideration if you're planning on taking a young one with you (BTW, don't plan on spending long periods in the pram with a 4 year old....). These prams are not designed to drift thru heavy, fast moving water. 8) 8)

As pointed out earlier, Keaton's are made of fiberglass as well as Kevlar.

So....., it sounds like you've got some questions to answer for yourself and a choice to make. Oughta be fun.... :D :D

Phil Synhorst
03-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh, sure now you caugh up the info about Keaton's, eh Darian :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Heck they're close to me, gonna have to give em a call.

Jay sent me some pics of his pram(like your's), it's a good looking boat.

Although after reading Jerry's story about the near collision with the idiot, perhaps I should consider something along the lines of a Battleship :eek:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Getting into a float tube, pontoon boat, kayak, canoe or flat bottom pram will open up a new world of fly fishing for you on many local waters.

Hairstacker
03-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Getting into a float tube, pontoon boat, kayak, canoe or flat bottom pram will open up a new world of fly fishing for you on many local waters.

I just want to second that, as that point cannot be emphasized enough. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- getting that first inflatable kayak changed my fly fishing world overnight and it's never been the same since. :D

Squigly Worm
03-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Darian,

More thought is great, but your input is better. I can only consider what I know which is a huge limiting factor. You seem to be asking me the right questions. As for the pram, I would consider any materials. As for my son, these trips would only be small rowing adventures. I would like to keep my price around a thousand dollars. I will be transporting the pram in the back of my pickup. Did I leave anything out? Color, any. Options - Color TV, Satelite, comp w/ internet, AC.......J/K.

In case this information has been posted before, thank you for great thread.

Regards,
Shawn Hiatt
Squigly_Worm

P.S. I hate fish hooks!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Used boats are in the Sacramento Bee classifieds, Fish Sniffer classifieds , Craig's List - Sacramento and even here on our Kiene's BB classifieds.

Squigly Worm
03-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Thaks Bill. I stopped by Classic Craft - Keatons this afternoon. They are in business on Folsom Blvd, but they were closed. I'm not sure if they still make the prams that were discussed earlier.

Regards,
Shawn Hiatt
Squigly_Worm

P.S. I hate fish hooks!