Scott V
03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0096.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0097.jpg

I love the opening of bass season.

David Lee
03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Nice !!

What fly did you use on your baitcasting outfit :lol: :lol: :lol: ???

David :P

Adam Grace
03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I like that second picture, very funny :lol:

Ed Wahl
03-08-2008, 11:38 PM
David, flies just wouldn't do it today. I took the pics. Fished this lake with Scott from 8 til 430, used every fly pattern I have in every retrieve scenario I could think of, to no avail. If I wasn't such a masochist I would have grabbed a spinning rod and been catching fish too. I did hook one and dropped it about 5 feet from the boat but that was it. That hawg Scott's holding took a swim bait. I've eaten trout smaller than that lure. It was huge. I could hear him grunt when he threw it. One cast before he caught the hawg he said to me," if I catch anything on this, it's gonna be big." I don't know how much it weighed, but if you can put your fist in it's mouth, it's big. He also slammed 'em on a rubber worm, I'm kind of ashamed here, right where I was fishing. That was our unofficial fish finder. Scotty must have caught 20 bass on that worm today.
Some people would look into spin fishing for Bass this time of year in order to catch some fish, others would continue to throw flies in futility.
I know where I'm at, and I've been called stupid before. I embrace it. Ed

Scott V
03-09-2008, 09:24 AM
I did catch one good one of the fly, on one of my clousers that I came up with up.

David Lee
03-09-2008, 09:35 AM
How big do you figure ??

I'd guess a bit over 6 -

David :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hairstacker
03-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Now that's a bass! After looking at that second picture, must say you just wouldn't make a very good bass Scott. :lol:

Scott V
03-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Now that's a bass! After looking at that second picture, must say you just wouldn't make a very good bass Scott. :lol:

I bet I would put up one of a fight though. :D

As for the weight of the fish Dave, no idea. I can not tell by holding it, I was never good at guessing weight, I think over 5 lbs.

Jay Murakoshi
03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Good fish Scott..... I'm designing a big swim bait right know....It's got a marabou tail and a articulated body and the main body is made from deer hair for floatation. I also used some silicon on the body for better floatation.

I can't wait to try the crank bait patterns down deep. I know some bass guys are throwing those right now

Jay

Scott V
03-10-2008, 07:26 AM
From what I have heard and read, the main trick with big swim baits is the tail that is flat perpendicular to the body. It causes alot of action and makes alot of noise through the water. I am trying to find a way that I can duplicate the flat tail, that way I can catch one of those pigs on the fly and Dave will stop giving me a hard time for using a baitcaster. :lol: I say that out of love Dave.

David Lee
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
...... that way I can catch one of those pigs on the fly and Dave will stop giving me a hard time for using a baitcaster .....

Just playin' with ya , you know that !!

While I really believe that MOST of the time , they WILL take a fly ..... I've seen days where only plastic works . I've also had days where if you didn't have a spinning rod in your hands , you would be out of it .

At least you're gettin' 'em - I'm at ONE Crappie and ONE Salmon for 2008 ...... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

David :twisted:

Scott V
03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I know you were kidding Dave, I would never take anything you say on the internet personally. But here is the fish I caught on my clouser.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IM001650.jpg

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-10-2008, 12:13 PM
The last LMB Paul caught that he could fit his fist into was an 8 lb'er in the delta.... :shock:

We have a picture of it somewhere... it was longer than the ice chest!

BEAUTIFUL BEAST, Scott 8)

larsj
03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
wow, nice fish!

what's that yellow baitcasting rod behind you? Custom job? (edit.. oops, that's your flyrod, isn't it?)

--Lars

larsj
03-10-2008, 07:40 PM
hey Scott, another question.

how do you fish with the plastic worms? I'm gonna be a bass newbie this year, and am interested in any techniques that work :) Chucking 12" plastic fish could be kinda cool too :D (though now I'm wondering what bird has swimmy feathers that big).

thanks, --Lars

Scott V
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey Lars,
actually the yellow rod is my Sage largemouth rod and I love it. As for how to fish worms, I will send it to you in a pm, I know some people would get upset if I talked about it on a fly fishing board.