PDA

View Full Version : What would you do for steelhead if you were going out Wed

Digger0038
03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I love fly fishing and it's a lot of fun but It has been slow going on the learning curve. I have a chance to go steelhead fising tomorrow on the AR. I was thinking about hitting a few spots on the river but I am not sure what to use. I want to give myself the best shot at catching a fish. Here are my options; first let me preface this by saying I know this is a fly fishing site and I would expect the answers to be swayed....but I'm going to ask any way.....What would give me the best chance at catching a steelhead right now....1. Fly rod drifting nymphs and egg patterns. 2. Regular Steelhead rod with 10lb test and an 8lb flourocarbon leader with a 8 to 10 size hook using roe sacks, night crawlers or just drift some beads off the bottom? What do you think. Keep in mind my success with steelhead on the fly this year has been nil and I am getting very discouraged.

Charlie Gonzales
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
It would be cool to see what happened if you took both and used each of them in the same runs. I would swing a small smolt pattern on a full floating line with 3x floro on one and night crawlers with 2-3 BB sized shot on the other.

Digger0038
03-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Good Idea ,,,,kind of an experiment to see what might work from one day to the other.