PDA

View Full Version : Skwala dry and nymph recipe?

jlmelend
03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Anyone have a good skwala dry and nymph recipe for use on the Yuba? I've seen plenty of imitations at local shops but would prefer to tie my own. Andy at Kiene's suggested tying some dries that sit low in the water. Any suggestions?

Adam Grace
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Here's one of my Skwalla dry patterns:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/rubberskwalla2.jpg

Tail: black foam
Dubbing: Olive brown (or you favorite color) dry fly dubbing
Ribbing: Yellow 3/0 thread - doubled over to create a segmentation
Legs: Micro Tarantula legs - brown
Wing: Moose Mane - tied bullet style

The moose hair lets the fly site low in the water like a natural skwalla. The rubber legs give it that "struggling" appearance. It's worked well for me on the Yuba, give it a try!

jlmelend
03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Zoiks! :shock: Nice pattern! Now if I could only find me a moose that'll hold still long enough to... :oops:

I sure will give this a try...thanks ORACLE!

Adam Grace
03-05-2008, 12:09 AM
:lol: No problem Joe! :lol:

Tony Buzolich
03-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Joe,

The next time you come up to the Yuba stop by Johnson's and take a look at our stone patterns. I just got four new Skwala patterns in a couple of days ago and they look great.

I've been getting mixed reports though about the sizes of the hatches. Most of the guys are saying use larger patterns such as #6 or #8, but last night at one of our meeting the guys were saying that above the Hwy.20 bridge there were some small Skwala's about size #12.

Definitely a good time to get up there,
TONY

jlmelend
03-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the invite Tony. I'll definitely stop by. I'm always up for checking out different patterns. A buddy and I were up there last week when the wind picked up. The fish seemed picky despite some skwalas hitting the water. We were using #10 and 12 brown madame Xs tied like stimulators. With the hackle palmered on the body they floated pretty high on the water and I was told that might be why we got skunked (convenient excuse :oops: ). Didn't see many drift boat or pontoon boat anglers having much luck either though :( .

Given this is the only dry fly action within two hours of my house, I'll be back plenty...

Matt Frey
03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
I seem to recall MSP had a REALLY good looking low riding pattern that he had posted in the past ... you should check it out ...

jlmelend
03-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Thanks Matt,
I have actually met Mike (aka MSP) on the A last year and I think he and Adam (aka the oracle) are fishing buddies so I will hit him up for some info.

Matt Frey
03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey Joe
Here is the link:
http://kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5214&start=0

Adam Grace
03-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Joe, that "oracle" stuff cracks me up :lol: you're funny.

Yeah, Mike (MSP) has a simple yet effective skwalla dry pattern, try that as well.

jlmelend
03-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh...but you ARE the oracle, I guess that makes Mike "morpheus". I nicknamed Tristan "Neo". As for me I am more of a sith padawan because I have been turned to the dark side by fly-fishing...just ask my wife. Does that mean Bill Kiene is a Sith lord? Maybe yoda? :shock:
Have a great weekend...let's all catch some fish!