PDA

View Full Version : New Member Announcement

Squigly Worm
03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Good evening everyone. My name is Shawn Hiatt (Squigly Worm) currently residing in Lodi. Similar to that old great song........stuck in Lodi again......, I'm still here. I am new to the fly fishing element. I do have my first fly rod and reel which were recently outfitted with backing, line and a leader only at your local Kiene's Fly Shop. Thank you Bill and (I will call you the perfect helper because I forgot your name) the perfect helper for the fly box recommendation as well as the assortment of flies that started my collection. Since yesterday (my recent Kiene's visit), I made an attempt to fish the Mokelumne River near Lodi Lake. Although my swinging fly rod didn't resemble anything close to a fly cast, I was able to deliver my "wet" fly (great pun) a good 12' yes twelve feet across. Moments later a fish boiled to the surface. Too bad I had already brought my fly back to my side of the river.

I'll try not to babble too much longer. I am a proud father of a 3 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. No, they are not twins, and yes, they are 13 months apart. Besides being a proud father, I also enjoy being a great husband. With that preface, my fishing goals are to wet my line at least 2 weekends/month and a couple of evenings during the week. I am open to anyone’s ideas/outings/recommendations. I love the discussion board. What a great tool/avenue for the sending and receiving of messages and information.

I look forward to meeting many of you on the board at the shop or on the water.

P.S. I hate fish hooks!

Regards,
Shawn Hiatt
Squigly Worm

Mike Churchill
03-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Welcome aboard!

You didn't mention what prior fishing experience you have? Are you a:

1. total novice fisherman?

2. guy who has fished a bit with bait or gear?

3. lifelong fisherman making the transition to fly gear?

4. none of the above?

If you are in category 1 or 2, there is no substitute for a pond full of sunfish.

If you are in category 3, sunfish are still great fun and practice.

I'm just starting to fish for largemouths and stripers in the delta after years spent mostly fishing for trout. In fact Fishngy (Bill) and I are hitting some sloughs out of Wimpy's Marina on Sunday.

I'd be happy to have you join me on an outing this spring--just shoot me a pm.

Mike

Ed Wahl
03-01-2008, 11:03 PM
A hearty welcome Shawn. I too was wondering how you arrived on the fly fishing scene. A lifetime of bait and lure fishing definitely sets a person up a rung for this stuff. On the other hand, a total newcomer to fishing doesn't have to "unlearn" a bunch of stuff before getting started.

Question. If you hate fishooks, what are your flies tied on? Ed

Squigly Worm
03-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I do have some experience with fishing. My dad introduced me to fishing in 1984 on a trip to Don Pedro. On our first day, he was putting the boat in the water and I saw rings on the surface. I asked I could toss my "lucky lure" while he backed up the boat to the water. The only fish I caught that whole week was a 2 3/4# salmon. My dad won 50 gallons a free gas from that fish. Since then, I have mostly bait fished for trout in the motherload area, and bait fish for striper in the Delta. I also went on a charter boat "New Rayann" and Sept 1, 2007 and caught a 43.7# Salmon. My luck seems to bring me fish more than my skill. As for my gear, I do have quite the collection. I have about 11 rods/reels and two tackle boxes of lures and misc items. I am now going through the transition to fly fishing. As for the "I hate fish hooks" theme, it refers to my name, Squigly Worm. Worms hate fish hooks! Lol.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Regards,
Squigly Worm

P.S. I hate fish hooks!

David Lee
03-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the board , Shawn !!

David :D

Hairstacker
03-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Shawn, welcome aboard!! :)