PDA

View Full Version : New GPS tracking devise?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.gearthstore.com/products/gps/trackstick/trackstick2/details.html

Not sure how it would apply to fly fishing?

Ed Wahl
03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I just got the spam about this. One use, which I'm considering for myself, is carrying one on backcountry trips. That way the wife can have a real time look at where I'm at. Quite an improvment over just telling her where I'm headed because I often change plans mid-stride. I've been known to change to different drainages or passes on the drive in. Ed

FISHEYE
03-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I know this device or one like it has already saved some lives in Alaska. Also, one of my buddys has this or something similar so he can track his wife who skiis or snowshoes on some of the ultra marathon backcounty races. His is somehow about to connect it up to google earth so he can track her progress.

TaylerW
03-01-2008, 11:55 PM
i work at an outdoor store and the best one on the market is called the "spot" it retails for 149.99 and you use it with google earth, it charts your path, and you can send signals, either just saying hi, or telling that you need help. its pretty slick...

davkrat
03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm confused. I t looks like you would have to plug these into your computer and download where you went after you get back from a trip. I don't see how they would transmit that information? The page doesn't mention any info on transmitting or what a service would cost for that. I imagine it would be like having a cell phone service. Still cool to figure out where your car goes, especially if you have teenage kids!

Edited - here is a link to the Spot http://gizmodo.com/350480/spot-gps-tracking-device-is-perfect-for-remote-climbers-and-jealous-girlfriends and it requires an annual fee of $100. Pretty cool though. My backcountry solo deer hunt last year would have been nice for my wife to have been able to check where I was all the time.