PDA

View Full Version : Taking your SLR fishing

Dustin Revel
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I bought to use it not leave it behind... how do you pack it with you all day? I was thinking about insuring it? any thoughts?

Adam Grace
02-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Simms waterproof camera bag, if the camera fits.

SteelieD
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I was thinking the same thing as spring trout season approaches. I am thinking of getting a bigger backpack type vest like a Fishpond Shooting Star (http://www.fishpondusa.com/packs.cfm) and keeping my slr in a dry bag in the back. And wading very carefully, of course! I'll use my Optio W10 for the "fish shots".

I'd love to hear how others manage carrying around their gear.

davkrat
02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately I have experience with this one. Last fall I toasted a $4000 EOS 1DmkII. I had it in the back of my fishpond Wasatch, soon to be upgraded to a wildhorse with the bigger bag. The problem with the wasatch is that with the larger body it will not fit in the backpack with a lens attached. I normally kept a drybag in vest but the one time I left it at home and did not want to leave it in the truck. Some very unsavery looking dudes at the parking lot on the Kern. I took one bad step went in a deep hole and the camera was toast. Beyond economical repair is how Canon put it. In the future I will always have at least a ziplock with me but in reality I am never going out without a drybag again. If you have one of the larger backpack vests you should be able to dedicate a drybag to it and never remove it from the vest. If you have the body on a larger lens like a 70-200 you should be able to leave the lens attached and put it in the pack lens first. This would put the body up near your head, a little water on the front of a $700 lens is a lot better then killing a several thousand dollar body. Honestly I picked up a used D60, like my original D-SLR which got stollen. This is now my primary fishing camera along with a Olympus waterproof I keep in my chest pocket for quick shots. If I am going on a photo/fish trip I'll make the EOS 1DmkIII along and be super careful. People look at you crazy when you stand in the middle of a river with an expensive camera but that's what you got to do to get shots like these:

http://www.kratvillephoto.com/images/L0060-2006-08-12-DeerCreek-_M1W0711web.JPG

bolden
02-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Lowepro Dryzone 200. Its big, and if you only have one camera and lens then it is most likely overkill, but it is completely waterproof.

When my d50 was my only camera, i used a small lowepro bag that just fit the d50 and one lens. I would put the camera into a ziploc and then into the lowepro bag, and then into my fishpond backpack. I went in twice, and it was perfectly fine both times.