PDA

View Full Version : Bass-n-Fly Tourney

Charlie Gonzales
02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Anybody have plans for entering it?

Scott V
02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I am on the list waiting for a boater to sign up without a partner.

JerryInLodi
02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Charlie, I'm of mixed emotions on this. Initially I was feeling pretty negative about turning what, to me, is pure fun fishing into a contest. I attended the Pleasanton show and talked to some friends and to John Sherman, one of those that got the whole thing going. Since that time I feel a little better.

In talking to friends that know more about competitive bass fishing, they estimate that approximately 50-60 teams will enter. 4/5ths of the teams will be conventional guys that will be competing with fly rods for the first time. In addition, my friends point out that this will be a rather historic event, in that it will be the first fly rod only competition on the delta.

I haven't decided yet as to whether I will or I won't. I've asked my fishing buddy, Sturmer White to partner with me if we decide to do it. We'll go fishing in the next few weeks and talk the whole thing over and then make up our minds.

Truthfully, I've caught so many fish in my life that I generally don't bear down and concentrate that much when I'm fishing, I sort of just enjoy the experience. When guiding I push my clients a lot harder than I push myself when fishing with friends or alone.

Do I want to turn the pure fun experience into culling fish, keeping them alive in the live well, competing with myself and with others as to how many fish, the biggest fish, the heaviest bag? I'm not sure. I MAY give it a try to see how I do with the whole thing but I'm certainly not gung ho about the whole thing. It will take a lot of reflection.

Im not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers with this post, it's just a new facet of fly fishing and I'm trying to decide if I like the path and want to join it.

Mike McKenzie
02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
I look at this way..Why the heck not! One fly fishin' bass tournament sure isn't going to impact the fishery, especially considering how many "regular" Bass tournaments are put on in the delta every year. Anyway K.D. laid down the gauntlet to me and I don't have a choice!:lol:
That plus the fact that Icon Products (Softex) is sponsorin' my boat and John Ryzanych will fish with me so what do I have to lose? (except my pride and 40+ years worth of reputation bass fishin' the delta, if we don't win, HA! :-({|= )

Win, lose or draw I think it'll be fun creating a little delta history!!

Mike

Big Dave
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
But theres no problem turning the " pure fun experience " into a business...

----------

Sounds like a blast , I'm in !

JerryInLodi
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Dave, I don't fish when I guide and I certainly try to make sure my customers are having as much fun as I am when I'm guiding and they're fishing! Fishing has never been competative to me with the exception of the banter that good friends give each other on an outiing.

My response was to competative fishing and my internal quandry of whether I want it to be part of my fly fishing experience not a guiding experience. I don't see any link between guiding and tournament fishing.

By the way, few guides make a profit, I know of only about three or four. Most operate at a loss as I do, barely covering expenses. Even so, it's a great way to spend a retirement, it keeps me active, involved, meeting people and on the water and most of all having fun! Maybe when you hit 65 you might try some retirement guiding as well but until then I suggest you keep working your day job! :lol:

JJohnson
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm with Big Dave on this one - if you're good, get in for the fun of it - if you're not, stay out. Some folks just plain talk too much about how they feel. Enuf said.

Hairstacker
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Anybody have plans for entering it?

Well, I was kind of interested, as it sounded like fun, until I read the rules and noted you have to have a motorboat and that kayaks aren't permitted. Ah well, no big deal.

Mrs.Finsallaround
03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Paul will be entering and we are both excited about it... :D

I'm not really good enough to enter, but I'll be out there rooting for hubby... 8)

k.hanley
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Just a quick heads-up..........
Be sure to get your registrations in by 3 days before the event (helps us know how many are involved). Sooner is even better. Lots of logistics to negotiate producing this event. We're looking forward to a great experience for everyone. It's about teamwork. It's about camraderie. And yes, it is about competition but that isn't exclusive from having fun.

We fully intend to celebrate the great variety in the world of flyfishing.
Cheers, Ken
PS: If a team wanted to enter at the last minute, you could.

JerryInLodi
03-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Well Golly, since you're in Paul as well as my friend Carlo, plus Mike Mc, plus Leo, plus your advocacy Ken, as well as John Sherman's, I guess I and Sturmer will sign in as the senior duo. Do we get an age handicap? I wasn't talking pluses, more in the minus strokes area since between us we total over 140 years. All that experience should cost us something! Now, all I have to do is convince Sturmer to come out and play!

Ken, I missed out, is the tournament over with the weigh in or is there going to be a BBQ or other finale? The web site says nothing about any post tournament events if any?