PDA

View Full Version : NZMS Question

JT
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
The New Zealand Mud Snail (NZMS) ia showing up all over the place now, and most fishermen have been cleaning their boots and waders after fishing infested waters. My question has to do with boats. Many people use pontoon boats, prams, kick boats, kayaks, and drift boats on the rivers in the area, so how do anglers clean their boats after fishing? Most people can't afford to buy a set of boots and waders for infested waters, so I know they're not going to buy a separate boat for these waters.

Darian
02-26-2008, 03:34 PM
JT,.... I think I read the requirements for cleaning boats up after exposure on DFG's and the Department of Boating and Waterways websites and have seen several posters at launch ramps in the Delta.

I'm wondering how much transfer of NZMS is unstoppable :?: :? It seems to me that these snails attach themselves to water birds feet and are flown around to be re-seeded elsewhere. :? Think about all of those Herons, Ducks, Geese, Egrets, etc., flying around central valley water ways. We can probably slow down the infestation but will most likely not keep 'em from spreading. :( :(

Charlie S
02-26-2008, 08:58 PM
The key word in your post is "most"> It only takes one person to spread the infection to other waters and let's face it, there are way more than that that could care less. And that's not counting people who use the waterways for other than fishing. Just think how many you see in swim suits and tennis shoes, etc, that are also moving to other waters. As far as boats go, the spread of various parasites, etc, can be more effectively regulated but so far nothing is fool proof. We have let in the "mad dog" and I don't really see any way to stop the spreading. Hate to sound fatalistic but reality is reality and all the "pie in the sky" cures won't do any good unless we get 100% cooperation. When is the last time you saw that??? :?:

JT
02-26-2008, 10:01 PM
You both brought up very good points, but I'm not ready to quit. Educating those with whom we come in contact is a start. I just wish everyone knew the impact NZMS can have on a watershed.

FRSam
02-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Put your boat in the freezer over night...

I don't mean to be light....it's a real problem and I think JT is right education and awareness are effective tools in slowing the spread.

Pete

JT
02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Put your boat in the freezer over night.

I thought about that, but I think my wife would kill me.

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Article:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/08001.html

DFG NZMS Info:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/invasives/mudsnail/

JT
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
The article says that NZMS were recently discovered in Lake Shasta. They could have drifted down from the Upper Sac, the Pit, the McCloud, or they could have been directly introduced to the lake. I'm sure they're in the Lower Sac by now as well.

roostersgt
02-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Not to sound politically incorrect or anything, but has anyone here honestly noticed any real difference in the amount of or quality of fish in those waters infected with the snails since they were discovered some 7-8 years ago? I honestly haven't noticed any reduction in the number of wild fish. If the snails are really eating all the bugs food in the rivers, then what could those wild fish be eating? :?:

Both of the mentioned rivers get heavy angling presure and are open year round, yet the wild fish still seem to be reproducing. The fish and aqualtic bug life in the above mentioned rivers don't appear to be affected as much by the presence of the snails as we've been told. I was told by DFG that the Moke hasn't had a trout planted there in over 15 years.

I'm not suggesting folks stop cleaning their equipment to prevent the further spread of the sanils, I'm just throwing my observations out there for thought. FYI, I'm also one of those who question the real affects of global warming, and if it is really a negative or positive occurrence.

Steve

Darian
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Hmmmm,.... Maybe they're eating each other :? :? I know, I know,.... it's hard to believe that Trout are really canaballistic.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Wonder how many fingerling Stripers are eaten by Salmon/Steelhead in the Delta or the ocean. :P :P :P

roostersgt
02-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Hmmmm :roll: ,,,,I too considered the cannibal question. It led me to wonder what the little trout frye, fingerlings and smolts eat? :?: Certainly not other smaller fish. It appears to me that the salmonid food chain isn't being affected much by the presence of the snails. :)

Steve

Squigly Worm
03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm new to the fly fishing scene, but can anyone explain what the NZMS is? I'm not sure I understand or know what it is. How can I spot it? I fish mainly the Mekolumne River, does it live there? What can I do to prevent the epidemic?

Regards,
Squigly Worm
Shawn Hiatt

P.S. I hate fish hooks!

FRSam
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Here's some information on the mudsnail:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/invasives/mudsnail/Mudsnail_FAQ.html

Welcome aboard :)

Pete

JT
03-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, the presence of mud snails has been confirmed in the Mokelumne River. We should treat every river as if it is infested, though.

Rob
03-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Put your boat in the freezer over night...

I don't mean to be light....it's a real problem and I think JT is right education and awareness are effective tools in slowing the spread.

Pete

Just park your boat in my drive way , that will do it !!! :lol:

mike N
03-20-2008, 09:14 PM
So JT,

If we are to treat every river as if it were infested, are you suggesting that we do nothing to prevent the spread of NZMSs because all the rivers already have been infested?

:hmmm

MN, the confused one.

JT
03-21-2008, 01:17 PM
If recreationalists treated every waterway as if it was infested (even though not all of them are), they will be treating their gear after entering every waterway. I'm sure there are infested waters that we are unaware of at the moment. If people did not disinfect their gear after entering these waters (thinking there were no NZMS), another waterway could be contaminated. I hope that is more clear.

JT
03-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I just reread my previous post and I realize I didn't fully answer your question. I've been running a 103 deg fever, so I may not be thinking clearly.

When LEAVING a waterway, we should assume the water IS infested with NZMS. Therefore, we need to disinfect our gear. When ENTERING a new waterway, where the presence of NZMS is not confirmed, we should assume the water is NOT infested, making sure our gear has already been cleaned.

David Lee
03-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I've been running a 103 deg fever, so I may not be thinking clearly.

Wow , that sucks !!

Hope you get well soon !! Sorry the Sculpins are late , I'll get them out by Monday .

David :)

JT
03-22-2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks, David.

Kevin Goding
04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
It's a very small snail. The threat it causes is that it has extremely high reproductive potential and the ability to basically wipe out the base of the food chain in any system it inhabits. They are also a very tough organism, being an operculate snail, which basically means it has a door on its foot to completely seal itself in its shell, it can pass through digestive systems of most fish unharmed. So it can wipe out food chains, yet itself is not a food resource (as far as fish are concerned).