PDA

View Full Version : Ted Fay

yosemitegreg
02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about Ted Fay and his special flies. I was wondering if they might be worth anything to a collector and, if so, how much? I understand he was quite the fisherman and one that would go out of his way to teach and guide other promising fly fishermen.

Darian
02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Don't know where to start on this one. So, it's gonna be highly summarized. A couple of years ago, an article appeared in the California Fly Fisher magazine on this subject. I can't recall the issue tho.

Ted Fay was owner of a flyshop/Motel in the Dunsmuir area on the Upper Sacramento River. Using a two fly cast, he was renowned as a guide and for his "high stick, short line, nymphing" technique on several area rivers. He passed away many years ago and was succeeded by Joe Kimsey who now runs the fly shop and continues the production of the flies and fishing in that area.

As to the flies, the original few were developed by a Native American named Ted Towendolly who brought them to Ted Fay. Mr. Fay adopted them for his own tying/use and developped some additional patterns himself. All of the original patterns were tied on size 8 - 9 hooks similar to the Mustad model 7948. Later patterns have been tied on size 10, Mustad 7957 BX. Don't know what model hook Joe Kimsey uses now but they're still the same size. Joe has added several new patterns, as well.

With the exception of a couple of dry fly patterns, they're all heavily weighted with short, thick bodies, sparse tails and short, stiff hackle. All are characterized by simplicity in design. Some are winged with hackle tips; most are not. These patterns are suggestive of naturals in the area (not exact representations). The flies are particularly effective in water that is swift around deep areas surrounding rocks in a riverbed.... Altho I've never fished the Pit River, I've been told that a Black Bomber is very effective there. The key to success in using these flies is to understand at what point in the season an individual pattern is intended to be used.

I've used a couple of the flies/technique on the Upper Sacramento and McCloud rivers many times in the fall of the year and was very successful. Had more than few double hook-ups on the Caddis patterns.

I know some of the other BB members can add to this and hope they will. 8) 8) 8)

Darian
02-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Hmmm,.... I just did a "search" under Ted Fay and found a bunch of the info requested under the Fly Tying Forum. Another "search" might be for "high sticking". Oughta be a bunch of real history about the men and flies there. 8) 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Darian pretty much covered it very accurately.

I met lots of people over the years who use to fish with Ted Fay but never met him in person myself.

As Darian said, Joe Kimsey took over the "Ted Fay Fly Shop" and is there even today but Bob Grace has taken over the shop now and is running in the same fine tradition.

I would highly recommend that everyone go up there this summer in late May/early June to Dunsmuir and fish the river.

While you are there in the mid-afternoons you can stop by the shop and get some help and history.

I'm sure you can call the shop or email them for some info.

http://www.tedfay.com/index.html

PS: We had a nice little cabin up there for about 10 years so we got to know the area pretty well.

Fred Gordon is the top guide in the area.

http://www.fredgordon.net/

Averagely, June is the prime time to fish the Upper Sacramento River even though it is open all year round now.

I believe that the Upper Sac, Lower Mccloud and Pitt River are the best wild trouit streams that California has to offer.

Frank Alessio
02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
As usual Darian is very accurate and knowledgable. I lived across the street from Ted Fay. We lived on Prospect Ave. When I was about 12 years old I met Ted Towendolly. He came to our rock house to sell my Grandfather some Flys... He had a large tool box with a lot of compartments and they were overflowing with flys... I have used his flys as patterns for the last 50 years. I tie my own variations also... I love Dunsmuir, maybe because I was born there or maybe it has something to do with that River. Frank

Darian
02-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Frank,.... I was hoping you'd join in. :) If you're of a mind to, I'd like to see some of your variations of those type flies. Could you post a few photo's of 'em :?: :?: I tried a few, myself but couldn't quite get the same look. :?

There was one pattern that a friend bought from Ted Fay (I think it was one of his original patterns), I was always fascinated with. The Carpetbagger. If you haven't seen it, it was designed to be a cased Caddis imitation. The body didn't have the same profile as others in the line. It was thick evenly tied instead of tapered. here's my guess at the recipe:

Thread: black.
Hook: Mustad 7957 BX, size 8-10 (discontinued :?: ).
Tail: sparse black hackle, one half length of body.
Body: gold/orange strands from carpet remnant. Weighted heavily.
Hackle: 1-2 turns only, black neck hackle (stiff).

The carpet material may not be available now. It was said that this material was taken from scrap carpeting removed from the motel. This looped carpeting material was glued into the rubber carpet padding. When the strands were pulled from the pad, the rubber stuck to them at regular points. The strands were wrapped so that the rubber appeared on top of the hook with the gold/orange material peaked out from under. I still have about a half dozen of 'em in my collection and wouldn't think of fishing them. :D :D :D