PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions for you boating experts....

FRSam
02-21-2008, 11:35 AM
It is illegal to discharge untreated sewage into any of California's lakes, rivers, reservoirs, or coastal waters within the three-mile U.S. territorial limit. Human sewage from boats can create environmental problems, including

A. human health hazards

B. contaminated shellfish beds

C. decreased oxygen levels in the water

D. All of the above

When paddling a canoe at night, which piece of equipment should be carried to help avoid a collision?

A. Flares

B. Compass

C. Flashlight

D. Binoculars

According to the Navigation Rules, which must be aboard a 22-foot powerboat?

A. A VHF radio

B. A searchlight

C. A whistle or horn

D. A GPS or Loran-C receiver

David Lee
02-21-2008, 05:10 PM
What is this? A drivers test ? Who cares

Geeeeezzzz , Carl !! A little cranky today :) ??

I'll give it a shot -

Question #1 - the answer is D .

Question #2 - I would assume a flashlight , though NONE of the listed can be used while paddling (need a third hand , right ??) .

Question # 3 - I'd guess A .

What do I win :D ??? BTW , Welcome to the board !!

David

FRSam
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Come on Carl...this is a boating forum. These questions are from a boating safety course which covers quite a bit of information regarding State and Federal laws, boat operations, accidents, safety, navigation and quite a bit more. The site is located at the following link:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/introdobject.php
"This course is approved by the state of California and the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA), and recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard."

Successful completion of this course satisfies California's boating education requirements and may entitle you to a discount on your marine insurance."

I don't mean to be negative Carl but............................................... ..................

David thank you for the welcome. I can't believe how this board has taken off. I can remember when there was only one forum and the number of posts per week could almost be counted on one hand. Bill has done an outstanding job here - thank you Bill.

I listed the questions because I thought the way they were worded left a lot to be desired and after having gone through the material I couldn't clearly find the answers. Just for the record I did pass the practice final exam with a 94% but unfortunately the exam didn't tell you which questions you missed.

If you're curious to see how you'd do on this test - have at it:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/final.php

Click on "Take the practice final exam"

Sorry David - don't have the answers or a prize...but for the record I answered the questions the same way you did.

Pete

Matt Frey
02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi Pete
Welcome aboard. A couple of years ago I took the U. S. Coast Guard Auxiliary's Boating Skills and Seamanship Course. It was very informative. Looking forward to hearing your fishing reports.
Matt

FRSam
02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks Matt,
I've actually been around for quite a while when Bill first started the board. You've got a good group of people here, many of whom I recognize from the other boards I've been evolved with over the years. I look forward to participating here in the future. :)
Pete

FRSam
02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Tristan I believe you're correct, number three is C - a whistle or horn. The VHF isn't going to do much good if you're under water after being slammed by some big old freighter. I did find this under the U.S. Coast Guard minimum requirements for recreational vessels..."Every vessel less than 39.4 ft (12 meters) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device. VHF radio's are not required equipment for small recreational boats but should be high on your list of equipment to carry."

Pete

Hairstacker
02-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Now that makes sense. I got the first two questions but wasn't sure about the last one.

Ed Wahl
02-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Every vessel less than 39.4 ft (12 meters) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device.

Does that mean I have to have one on my pram? I've been relying on 2 lungs and the creative use of expletives and hand gestures.

Scott V
02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Every vessel less than 39.4 ft (12 meters) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device.

Does that mean I have to have one on my pram? I've been relying on 2 lungs and the creative use of expletives and hand gestures.

All you need is one of those birds that was yelling at you when we were on the delta. :lol:

Ed Wahl
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Um, life jacket?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
We are fishing more out of boats now than ever.

We started using small pram back in the 1970s for fly fishing in lakes and the 'tide water' of our coastal rivers.

I use to sell the old 'TP&L' fiberglass tri-hulls.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/OurBoats/pram22.sized.jpg

Many others used the Valco aluminum prams.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/OurBoats/Boat22.sized.jpg

This is the type of pram that Carl and Ed use which are very nicely made and will last forever.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/OurBoats/IMGP0422.sized.jpg

These small prams are usually 8' to 12' long. They are very exciting to fisdh out of and open up lots of water that you otherwise could not fish from the bank.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/OurBoats/hosmer.jpg

I have lots of found memories of fishing from a pram.

FRSam
02-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Bill that last shot sure reminds me of Hosmer up in Oregon. What a beautiful little lake with Mount Bachelor in the back ground it was hard to beat. I spent a lot of time fishing it first for the Atlantic Salmon and then moved onto the huge Brookies. Back in the seventies you were still able to have a motor on your pram.

I agree prams are a great way to cover a small to mid sized lake - but I've got to admit I've been on water where to borrow a movie phrase "I wish I had a bigger boat."

Pete

pgw
02-25-2008, 09:14 AM
In the late 70's and 80's a TPL 8' pram was "uniform of the day" for a boat on Fall River, Baum Lake, and even at the mouth of the Smith.

I still have the image of Mike Monroe landing a fish from his TPL with less than an inch of freeboard in my mind (talk about needing a bigger boat)!

While the TPL was good and my great (read: roomy) 10' Valco was better (until it was stolen), my current craft, a Redwood Welding 8' aluminum drifter has been the best for (calmer) rivers and lakes because of it's speed and manuverability.

Paul

FRSam
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey Paul,

I've got a 10 ft Spring Creek Pram that's been great for the smaller lakes in this area. It's got a fairly high freeboard. I've fished it over at Lake Davis quite a bit and for the most part haven't run into any problems - although there have been those days when things kick up I'm asking myself were those last couple of casts really necessary - of course they were...

I'd love to hear the story behind the Valco - how in the world did someone pull that off?

When ever a discussion of prams came up Valco was always one of the first names to surface. I tried to find one when I was looking and just happened to bump into the Spring Creek.

Sorry to hear about your boat...what are you running off the back of your drifter?

Pete

pgw
02-25-2008, 08:34 PM
The valco pram was a great boat...problem is I used it for duck hunting too and the 2nd week of the season in 1982, some !@#$%^&* decided to take it out of the pond I leased. the guy had to take it out of a locked boat-house shelter and cut through a chain and a cable to get it...

The Redwood Welding Drifter goes everywhere I want with oars...real speedy on Baum and Manzanita and except for Fall River (where you need to go upstream sometimes) when I use my 20+ year old MinKota 26 lb thrust electric which still works well enough to get me up river when I need to...the oars control the drift just fine coming back down...I'm on the 4th battery though.

Paul

FRSam
02-26-2008, 09:39 AM
It's hard to believe what some people will do...to bad you weren't there to greet him with your shot gun.

I had some SOB clean out my rig, all my flyfishing equipment, while I was out mountain biking around some remote lake in Central Oregon - I sure wish I'd been there to greet him with my shotgun.

But life goes on...

Pete