PDA

View Full Version : tibor reels

cgraves19
02-19-2008, 02:24 PM
i am making the transition from full length lines to shooting/skagit heads and running lines so i don't have to have multiple spools...that being said, i am looking at a riptide or a gulfstream. with a running line, would a riptide be too small for a 9 or 10 wt spey? likewise, would a gulfstream be too large for a 7 or 8 wt spey?

Don Powell
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
#1 What weight rods do you fish?
#2 Where do you want to fish and for what species?

The Riptide is adequate for 6/7/8 and 7/8/9 lines but I would go to the Gulfstream for 8/9/10 lines and above...if you fish big waters at the same time very large fish enter them, you at some point in your flyfishing career will need some backing...and the appropriate reel to accommodate it.

I personally possess an Everglades for switch rod and bonefish use and a Riptide for 8wt spey line duties.

NEVER underestimate your backing capacity for the species you target or the waters you fish!

cgraves19
02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
thanks don. im fishing a 7/8 now and would like to get a 9/10 that i could use the same reel with. use would be steelhead/salmon. deschutes, grande ronde, oregon coast. what im trying to figure out is how much spool space im saving by using a running line, thus allowing me to have substantial backing. just changing out the shooting head for the appropriate rod...

Don Powell
02-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Excellent point!

I have used a variety of running lines spooled on after I removed a stock line with higher diameter integrated running line.

Personally, I still like the Rio Slick Shooter which saves a lot of space and handles well even for my aging hands...

The Monic 0.035 also saves space and handles a bit more easily.

The different Skagit and AFS heads are way cool and match well with the smaller diameter running lines...and, they cast farther than I can effectively fish with either of the runners I mentioned above.

Go to Kiene's or your home shop with your rod(s) and put a Riptide and Gulfstream on to see how you like the balance...

Hope that helps...

Don