PDA

View Full Version : campouts

cgraves19
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
hey all, just moved to california from minnesota and was wondering where are the best opportunities for overnite float trips/campouts on northern california rivers...eel, mattole, trinity, smith, yuba, etc? ideally trying to escape the crowds and find some solitude...is it possible? do any flyshops offer this service? thanks

Tracy Chimenti
02-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I have some personal favorites:

1) Boat camping: Lower Feather River. Consider where you will park your car-- it might be missing a window and your CD player when you come back to get it. I don't leave a car anywhere overnight other than at Verona. Stripers, big catfish, large/overly agressive squawfish at night on live bluegills and stripers on top or with rat-l-traps as well. Must have shallow draft boat at certain times of year. Jet drive or canoe/kayak/raft is adviseable.

2) Boat camping: Lower Sac. Same as above, plus the added attraction of sturgeon (just starting). Don't leave a car anywhere other than at Verona. May need jet drive above Colusa.

3) Boat camping: Camp far West lake. Camp in campground. Night bass fishing. Spots, largemouth, smallmouth, big cats.

4) Boat camping: Shasta, Oroville, Bullards Bar. Get a house boat. Good catfishing at night on Shasta and Oroville. Excellent night "flipping" for bass and cats.

5) Pack-in: Feeley, Rucker, Island lakes. Bring a float tube. Rainbows, browns, brookies. Hit it in late May/early June for stupid, hungry fish. (snow permitting). Access off highway 20, near Yuba Gap @ I-80.

6) Pack-in: Wild and Scenic north Fork American River. All wild trout. excellent dry fly action in a stunning wilderness setting. Get a forest service map and spend a day just locating trail access points. Steep grades, rattlers and bears. Not for the weak legged or out-of-shape.

7) Sutter Bypass: Bring the beer, the boys, the catfish bells and the bait. Lots of willing catfish. Beware of mosquitos (probably not as big as the eagle-size bugs in Minnesota, but many of them carry West Nile vector, so bring the 80% DEET bug dope).

8) Indian Valley Reservoir: Excellent night bass fishing. Lot's of standing timber. Long dirt road for access, but worth the while. Monster cats await.

That's some of them. If you need details, just drop me a line and we can go with e'mail.

Tracy Chimenti