PDA

View Full Version : unforgetable crappers

Ed Wahl
02-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Here's a topic that's come up in discussion in various camps over the years. Most unforgetable crappers. Crappers with the best view, oddest location, hazards, legends, creatures, etc. You can't have lived long in the outdoors without a few "memorable" experiences doing your business. I've even considered writing a book about them. Here's my favorite, at the Grouse Ridge fire lookout.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001470.jpg

larsj
02-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow! Is it as scary as it looks from that vantagepoint?! :shock:

David Lee
02-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Great topic , Ed !

As some of you know .......

I was born into an outdoor family - for my first 13 years of life , we would camp for 3 months a year in the costal range .... fishing the Eel , Deer hunting , etc. . My father (in his later years ...) would camp in the bush - no more campgrounds for him . He used to build (with considerable pride ...) some amazing 'thrones' ...... hand-made chairs that were works of Art .

I guess that by the time Dad was in his 50's ..... he didn't care for squattin' over a slit trench every day . I have several photos of these crappers , but I don't currently have a scanner here , so it'll be a few days before I can post any pictures .

I'll get 'em posted by Monday .

David :)

Mike McKenzie
02-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, It ain't exactly an outhouse but...I'd call it a memorable experience.....would you use it??
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/stripermike/AHighbath.jpg
(The floor is actually a painting...)

Mike

alaskanfish
02-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Now that is awesome... I don't care who you are!!!

If only,... I just redid a bathroom.... What a cool floor!!!

Ed Wahl
02-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Lars, it's actually pretty safe, the forest service built a vault below it up against the cliff. If you know where to look this crapper is visible from I-80.

Kind of slow starting, so here's another. The crapper at the P.C.T. trailhead off of hwy 4 at Ebbetts Pass. It's been a few years but when they built the new one, they put a big plexiglass window in it. All well and good but they put it at roughly lap level, facing the parking lot. You could wave to your friends, and anyone else that happened by.

FRSam
02-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Interesting topic - certainly original. I'm reminded of an experience I had on a drive back from fishing the Deschutes. I got an early start for the trip home so I had a little time to burn if something came up. I passed a turn off on HWY 31 for Fremont Point above Summer Lake. It was a dirt road that disappeared into the Fremont National forest and lead to an overlook with a view of the high desert area surrounding Summer Lake. I had my Jeep so I thought to myself why not. It was only an eight mile drive to the lookout.

The dirt road in was in pretty good shape but I did have it completely to myself - never saw a soul on the drive up. It really was neat area with quite a view and seemingly worth the drive. Well nature called and there was this outhouse right in the area I had parked. It was one of the nicest outhouses I've ever seen...it was built out of stone with reinforced stained Plexiglas windows.

I normally stay away from outhouses when I can...the idea of doing my business on top of everybody else's has never appealed to me. But for some reason I decided to use this outhouse - hell it was so nice, why not. Closing the heavy door behind me I noticed it seemed a bit off - I didn't bother locking it - hell I was the only one around for miles.

I finished and headed for the door to open it - it wouldn't open. I though to myself this is great I'm out in the middle of no where, by myself, without anyone around locked in an outhouse. So I calmly thought there must be something wrong with the hardware...so I thoroughly studied the hardware trying this and that with no luck. There was nothing I could do.

So now the thoughts start occurring...am I going to have to spend the night in this thing....is somebody out there jamming the door while someone else is breaking into my rig stealing all my cherished fly fishing equipment - naah my dog who was in the car would have been barking her brains out.

I finally gave up on the calm rational approach of not wanting to damage anything...I'm not a small person 6ft and 180 lbs - I kicked it, ran into it with the shoulder, body checked it...tried breaking through the windows - nothing worked - I was trapped.

As time passed more weird thoughts...maybe this thing is going to start vibrating and I'm going to lifted into space by aliens...

Well after about a hour and a half I just happen to rattle the door, and yeah, it just swung open. What an experience - never again. I need to pee - I'm going to find a tree.

Pete

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/Tggr514/Superloo.jpg
http://www.atkielski.com/inlink.php?/PhotoGallery/Paris/General/SanisetteSmall.html
This is a Sanisette /sanizɛt/, also known as a “superloo” to the British. Sanisette is the trademarked name of an enclosed, outdoor, automated individual toilet that automatically scrubs, washes, and disinfects itself after each use. The device was invented and popularized by the French firm of Jean-Claude Decaux, a company that has become famous for its “urban furniture,” including Sanisettes, computerized street displays, the Abribus (a modular bus stop shelter), and other structures. It has pretty much replaced the disgusting, men-only vespasiennes that used to litter the city.

To operate this Sanisette, you place forty cents in coins in a slot (marked in green at the top of the control panel in the photo). The door opens, and you enter, with the door closing automatically behind you. Inside is a normal-looking toilet, and a small sink that automatically dispenses soap and water when you place your hands beneath the faucet. A hot-air dryer operates after the faucet, again automatically. A mirror is provided so that you can fix your hair, if need be. There is a toilet-paper dispenser as well. I have a photo of the interior, if you’d like to see what it looks like.

When you finish using the toilet and washing your hands, you open the door (there is a handle on the inside) and exit. The door closes again and the Sanisette begins a cleaning cycle that lasts for about 60 seconds: the wall behind the toilet opens and brushes and sprayers scrub down the toilet and disinfect it. After the cycle completes, the toilet is ready for its next user.

When a Sanisette is working properly, it is spotlessly clean and pleasant-smelling inside. Unfortunately, they are often vandalized or mistreated, causing them to malfunction or simply fail to operate until someone can fix them. Despite this, they are a welcome and handy sight on Parisian streets.

Some other cities have adopted these automated toilets, also. They are present in London and San Francisco, from what I understand and have seen. New York has considered them, but I understand that the wheelchair lobby insisted that they all be accessible to wheelchairs, and since making them so would invite their use by drug dealers and other undesirables (since the wheelchair versions are much larger), the idea was dropped. If anyone reading this has more information, please let me know with an update, if possible. (I have a picture of the Sanisette made accessible to wheelchairs, if you are interested.)

The Sanisette pictured here is the latest generation. A previous generation lacked soap and an automatic dryer, and had a more primitive toilet seat design; I have a picture of one, if you’d like to see.

At one time, Sanisettes played music when you entered, but they no longer do. I suspect that royalty disputes may have been responsible for the end of the music.

The indicator on the control panel in the photo shows that the toilet is available. It changes to orange when the toilet is in use, and to red when the toilet is out of order. An illuminated indicator on the sign over the toilet enclosure duplicates this indication, allowing the availability of the toilet to be seen from a distance.

This Sanisette is at the high end of the boulevard Haussmann. There are hundreds of other identical Sanisettes throughout the city. city.

Photographed on July 12, 1999

=================================================
There is actually one like this near one of the cable car turn abouts in SF. I used it the last trip there, and it is definitely weird...

Scott V
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
This is in Switzerland. One of my friends told me about this, he saw it and used it last time he went home. You can see out, but no one can see in. This I have to try.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/toilet1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/toilet2.jpg

Darian
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I found this on Blanton's BB and hope the original poster won't mind if I move it here. Thought it was really a unique use of space/time:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/94838-dunnytying.jpg

Just stretches the imagination.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
02-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Candida was kind enough to take these to work and scan them for me ...

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/chair_1.jpg

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/chair_2.jpg

I think these are from 1978's Deer camp at Badger Mt. , on upper Hat Creek (south of Old Station) . Dad could have spread the middle two sections of the Throne seat a little ........ :twisted:

David :D

Michael Baker
02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
My favorite was in Idaho, sorry no pics. My Uncle Earl had 20 acres across the highway from the Salmon River. When he built his new home in about 1965 he tore down, probably just had to give it a good push, the old house but kept the outhouse. Every morning he took his coffee and paper, went to the outhouse, kicked the dor open and enjoyed the view. Doesn't get much better than that!

Mike