PDA

View Full Version : Utah/Wyoming at the end of March

Big Dave
02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
I have business in Salt Lake City and Jackson Wyoming at the end of March.

I'm driving but have never been through that neck of the country before.

I think Im fine going into Salt Lake , but I was wanting to go into Jackson through Idaho.

Anybody have input on the driving ? With snow still being an issue , is it safer to go through Idaho or better to go straight up through Wyoming ? And of course , Im bringing my gear. Any input on fishing opportunities ?

Thank you for any responses.

Dave

Mike Stroud
02-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I would bet it is safer to travel straight up to Wyoming. Stop and the Angler's Inn in Salt Lake. Get a report on the Green River and fish the Green just below Flaming Gorge, near the Utah/Wyoming border. Great cutthroat, cutbow fishery. Dutch John will have some resources for you. Small town, nice diner.

bp
02-16-2008, 09:10 AM
BD

I have fished the Green that general time of year for the last 3 years as a "travelling" angler so here's what I would tell you.
1) The Green below flaming gorge will be AWESOME. Fish it as many days as you can. Be prepared for ALL kinds of weather from 60 and sunny to blowing snow and hail.
2) Use Denny Breer's shop in Dutch John for any info you need. The gang in there is super helpful and friendly and have like 200 years combined experience on that river. Flies, advice and access permits. UT state fishing licenses are available on the web which is convenient if you know how many days you'll be there - avoids additional waiting in the shop. You can also buy them there.
3) The entire 7+ miles of the A section is walkable with tons of wading opportunities. If you do not have a boat, fear not. You can catch tons of fish walking in. Only problem is you gotta walk back out so keep track of your time and energy level. If you have a sturdy white water personal pontoon boat, you are golden. Another good option which I have done is rent a boat by the day from Denny - either raft or drift boat. Not the cheapest, but worth it for a different look at the fishing and the canyon.
4) Lodging: look no further http://www.flaminggorgeresort.com/accomodations.html if you cannot get a room here i can't help you because this is where we always stay. reasonable, close, flyshop, food
5) final note on UT. If you are a drinkin' man, think about bringing all your own. UT can be a weird place for booze. My best experience: bring it all the way from CA or we stop on HWY 80 at Evanston just across the UT/WY line. Grocery/Liquor store for booze, food other last minute stuff. We always go 80 UT/WY then south into Dutch John via Mountain View HWY 414/412S http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mountain+View,+WY,+United+States+of+America&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title
6) Travel to J Hole. Best bet is Delta Airlines - SLC to JHWY :-). Driving could be a bit tricky either way in the winter - Have done them both. Do your own research RE: conditions at the time and choose the best route for you. If you go up the gut of WY you might try the Shoshone near Cody which can be fished generally all year right in Town. North Fork Anglers in Cody for info. Also, there is a super Western Museum there that's worth a look of you have the time, there's the Sierra Trading Post outlet there AND don't miss the "bull fries" on main street. Or you can try the 15 to ID route and think about fishing the Henry's Fork. Mike Lawson's place for info. Can't remember the name.
7) Do it. Enjoy it. Fear not. Except trying to buy booze in UT

If you would like more info, just reply or email me.

bp :lol:

BigBill
02-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I spent a year in Driggs ID, and another year in SLC as part of my ski bum tour. There is some great fishing AND SKIING in both areas. While in Jackson I would suggest going west through the town of Victor ID down into Swan Valley (Hwy 31?) to fish the lower Snake. You can access the stretch from Fall Creek Falls to Palisades Reservoir by a forest service road that parallels the west side of the river.

The Green River is a bit of a drive from SLC if I remember correctly. A closer alternative just 20 minutes from SLC is the Provo. I can't remember the hwy number that parallels the river but it allows for very convenient access to 10lb+ browns. There are quite a few developed parking areas and well maintained trails on the Provo making it a bit of a fly fisherman's Disneyland.

Take lots of BWOs and big streamers. Be prepared to hook into some MONSTER browns on both of these rivers. Have fun, drive slow and safely as weather will be a huge issue. Sorry, I don't have any driving recommendations other than driving a 4WD vehicle with good tires and carrying chains.

Big Dave
02-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Excellant info...thanks guys !

bp
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Big Bill

If you haven't been to Driggs in awhile, you're in for a shock. The billionaires have pushed the millionaires over the pass from Jackson into ID. Dirty little secret is that they have a super long runway and parking space for private aircraft that has become non-existant at the JHole airport in the park.

Big Dave

The Snake should be great. The Provo access that BB is referring to is on HWY 189 below Deer Creek Lake. Can be good but crowded, but definitly an option. Check with a local guiding service on that one.

Heck, you're gonna have a ball just exploring. So just fish all you can. Still recommend to hit the Green if'n u can pull it off.

bp