PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing show in Pleasanton, is it any good

Scott V
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Is this show worth the 2 hour drive in one direction? I have never been so I do not know what to expect.

k.hanley
02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Say Hey Scott,
Here is a link to the show homepage: http://www.flyfishingshowwest.com/Pleasanton.html

Don't forget to check out the other links once you're on the sight...exhibitors, classes, etc. During the three days there will be approximately 120 presentations not including the preregistered classes. It looks like 113 exhibitors are listed to be showcased.
Cheers, Ken

PS: I guess the real answer to your question is... "Perhaps." It all depends on what you want from the show experience in the first palce. I hope to see you there. 8)

Rick J
02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I thought it was the best show around when it was held in San Rafael but I was not impressed last year at Pleasanton. It was poorly put together - all the presenters were in a large room separated by curtains so no one could use a mike and it was very hard to hear. I think they only had one small casting pond set up inside though there is plenty of space outside to cast - weather permitting. I really miss the lake at San Rafael where you could play around with 2-handed rods.

However, if you just want to go and see friends and hang out and check out the booths - this would be the palce to do that and I hope they will improve on the presenters forum this year - If I am not fishing, I will likely give it one more try!

Jay Murakoshi
02-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey Scott,

What do you call "worth the two hour drive". I know the show last year had a few bumps in the road and problems in the presentation room but it was the first year at the new location. This year, he's expanded to the building next door that was vacant and will be bringing in more exhibitors and tyers.
He's also planning on having a casting pond in each buildings and one outside.
Rick mentioned he would like to see a casting pond outside - weather permitting. People at the San Rafael show flocked to the pond to tryout the rods in rain and wind, so now I hope the people will do the same at the Pleasanton show.
We as presenters also see some of the problems that one can encounter when putting together a show. I know it was different for Ken and I not having a mic in our hands but then again I don't think we need one.

Chuck has mentioned that he hopes to build this show as the biggest West Coast Fly fishing show - something that will be comparable to the Sommerset Fly Fishing show

I know you can't please everyone who attends these shows but I wouldn't want to be the one trying to put one together. I'm sure Bill & Marilyn run into a few gliches putting together the Kiene Fly Fishing Fair.

Hope to see everyone in a couple weeks

Jay

Scott V
02-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Since I have never been I think I will give it a try. I just am not looking forward to a day of atleast 4 hours of driving. Looks like another book on tape kind of trip.

On another note, hey Jay when do we get your bass dvd?

Jay Murakoshi
02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Scott,

The DVD was almost ready but after viewing it, Ken and I decided to go with a different type of format. So we are reshooting segments and I'm back to the editing.
I'm sure everyone will enjoy it once it's finished.

See you at the show

Jay

Rick J
02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
it takes me at least 2 hours each way but what the heck - it is only gas!!! Get a book on tape - it helps pass the time!

Again I will say that my main gripe last year was the presentation forum which sounds as if it will be improved - I have always liked this show more than the San Mateo show and I agree with Jay - I would hate to try and put one of these things on. I kinda expected some bumps and glitches at the new location last year and with any luck they will have these ironed out and it will be a great show this year!

k.hanley
02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Say Hey Rick,
I also have my fingers crossed for the persentation area. I know the show producer has made a strong commitment to develop the site. It will probably take another year to fine tune the elements of the entire experience. At any rate, the potential exists for a great time in my opinion. See you in a few weeks.
Cheers, Ken