PDA

View Full Version : Would benefits of DT outweight WF tapers for me?

Riverleft
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
In the never ending challenge (for me at least) of achieving perfect drifts, would DT lines aid significantly in mending and roll casting verses WF lines?

My rods of choice tend to be medium fast to fast action 9 ft 4wt and 5wts. For floating lines I’ve always used the WF taper. Not for any particular reason, other than that’s what I started with when I first learned to fly fish.

A little background on my fishing preferences, I fish mainly northern CA streams like the Upper Sac, McCloud, Truckee, etc. I don’t carry a dry fly specific rod/line setup, or a nymphing specific rod/line setup. I’m an opportunistic fly fisherman. When I arrive at a stream, I’ll carry one rod/reel/line and rig up with whatever is working for that time of day…so if trout are rising I’ll fish dries/emergers, if they’re nymphing I’ll use the same rod/reel/line and change the terminal end to a double nymph/split shot/indicator setup, etc.

Considering my rods, destinations, and style of fishing, would you recommend WF or DT lines? OR would the benefits of DT lines not really make enough of a difference?

Thanks for any advice...
Riverleft

Hairstacker
02-06-2008, 01:10 PM
would DT lines aid significantly in mending and roll casting verses WF lines

Only if you're mending and/or roll casting your fly beyond 45'. Inside that distance, I don't believe you will notice any difference. I base this on the fact that most weight forward line heads are at least 35' long. Add to this a 10' leader and you've got 45' of line to your fly outside the tip top before you get to the thinner running line on a weight forward line.

Darian
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Mike's statement is correct. However, there're so many differing tapers among WF lines alone that answering that question correctly (for your needs) may be difficult. :? :? I started fly fishing using DT lines and really like them. For one thing, if one end wears (for whatever reason) you can reverse the line and go right on fishing. Second, you can make two shooting heads out out of one DT line. I've owned and fished floating/sinking DT lines and like both. I found casting dries to be much easier/delicate using a DT line. Sinking DT lines are not in favor any longer and are more difficult to buy.

Many Fly fisherman don't like or want to use a shooting head with a mono running line set-up for whatever reason. IMHO, WF lines were intended to use in distance casting (the configuration is that of an integrated, tapered shooting head/running line). WF lines have evolved over time and become an industry standard. 8) 8) Sooooo,..... As with other questions of this nature, I'd go to your local fly shop and ask to test drive a rig with both lines. Then make your choice. :D :D

Rick J
02-06-2008, 02:59 PM
actually my favorite all around dry line is the Wulff TT and I use them from 2 wt through 9 wt. They have a long front taper and a thin diameter running line. The fine taper is excellent for delicate spring creek presentations with small dries. Some think the fine taper does not turn bigger stuff over very well though I have not had a problem - however, Wulff recommends that you can cut back the taper a bit to get more positive turn over.

This line taper is a wonderful line for roll casting and if you use a dynamic roll cast (spey or switch cast) you can shoot incredible distances due to the thin running line. It also shoots like crazy for standard casting with back casts.

I do not buy the statement that you cannot easily mend a wf or for that matter a Wulff line - I have no trouble mending this line out to 80+ feet.

The one place I think a DT line would work better than a WF or Wulff is if you are nymphing at distance and needing to stack mend out beyond say 45 feet. The fine running line on a WF does not stack mend as well as a DT line will

Hairstacker
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Darian, I thought about the varying tapers, which is why I restricted my answer to just addressing the mending/roll casting aspects. :lol:

On the other hand, it is possible to find weight forward and double taper fly lines with the same head taper, so it will not necessarily be true that the double taper will lay the fly down more delicately than a weight forward line. And, of course, no taper will overcome bad casting.

In any case, you're right, it is risky to make generalizations about tapers, and it would be best to study the individual lines being considered. Fortunately, the major manufacturers do a very good job of letting you know the taper characteristics of individual lines so you can make better informed decisions to suit your needs.

By the way, here is a short article written by Bruce Richards, head line designer of Scientific Anglers, on this very subject:

http://www.danblanton.com/WFvsDT.html

Riverleft
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks much for the informative replies. The article from Dan Blanton's site is right on point. Now at least I know that I'm not missing much by using only WF tapers. However, I've heard so many good things about Wulff's triangle taper lines that I'll have to experiment with them for myself one day. There's so many types of lines out there! Like every other aspect of fly fishing, I've become obsessed. First with rods, then reels, then fly tying, and now fly lines. I love it!

geo

Hairstacker
02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
First with rods, then reels, then fly tying, and now fly lines. I love it!

geo, I hear you! I've learned enough about fly fishing and tying to know that I know very little about all of it, which keeps it endlessly interesting. Couple that with a questionable memory, and I'm also constantly re-learning things I previously learned. :lol:

Phil Synhorst
02-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Riverleft, I usually fish small streams and lakes where roll casting is nearly half the job. When I first started flyfishing years ago I used a WF, after a few seasons of frustration I changed to a DT. Well this year was time for a new line. I went back to a WF, after consultation with Andy and Chuck at the shop, they both concured that WF'ds have come a long way. I tried a few in the parking lot and was convinced, I'm not much for casting skills, but they rolled just fine for me.
Like the other guys have said it can depend upon what line you get. Also I finally tried going bigger on line size. I have a 4wt. rod and I put a 6wt. line on it. The distance casts are almost effortless now, maybe that's what made the roll casting easy as well.

Adam Grace
02-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I recommend a WF because the first 30' is almost identical to a DT anyway, the WF just makes distance casting easy...not that you will need to cast very far anyway.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
If we looked at the specification sheets for all brands of lines there can be some difference in the front taper of DT and WF floating lines.

Years ago when the Cortland 444 'Peach' floater was a big player there was a big difference between the DT4F and the WF4F.

The DT had an 8 foot front taper.

The WF had a 12 foot front taper.

This made the DT a great choice for short to medium distances.

It also made the WF great for medium and longer distances on open smooth water.

__________________________________________________ _________

For the most part the real difference today is after about 45 feet of line is out like HS stated.

I can tell you that the public buy maybe 50 to 1 weight forwards over double tapers today.

There are so many different types of floating lines toay it is hard to keep it all straight.

Darian
02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Hmmmm,.... To quote Bill, " I can tell you that the public buy maybe 50 to 1 weight forwards over double tapers today."

I suppose that's because it's becoming difficult to find a wide variety of double taper lines in stores these days. Especially sinking double tapers. Wulff is one of the few Mfr's that produce a line that is WF but the taper is closer/truer to a DT. Like Rick says, I like them. Given a choice of a wide range of tapers/weights, I would choose a double taper as I can cut them into 2 shooting heads if I choose. That's what I use more than anything else, nowadays.... :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Good stuff Darian.

I remember when we could buy double taper sinking lines and make two shooting heads out of them too. Again, we've been alive too long.

I have not seen double taper sinking lines available in the USA for about the last 10 years now.

We stock double taper floaters in 2 to 6 weights for those who fish small/medium streams.

Years ago they used double taper for "greased line" Steelheading in Oregon and Washington. Now they make the Steelhead floaters with really long bellies and back tapers so they can be mended and roll cast for very long distances.

Trouble with a DT8F is the fact that you have to have a huge reel to hold it with enough backing for Steelhead.

A reality is that fly line manufacturers are only making what sells, so many things are not available anymore. It's still "supply and demand" in the real world.