PDA

View Full Version : the lower Y

Paul B.
02-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Went today from about 1:30 till dark. Counted 6 rises all day. One was too close and I couldnt reach the other 5. I saw very few bugs (stoneflys, small caddis and tiny mays). The water was mirky. Viz was about a foot and a half or so. Still it was nice to get out. The weather was perfect. Not too much wind and I was able to test my newest 5wt Paul

FireFly
02-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Paul's report pretty much somes it up. I fished from 11:00 to about 1:30. Hooked 4 fish, saw 2 of them. All hooked under an indicator, the two I saw had a #18 mayfly nymph in the mouth. By 1:30 the skwalas were making their way to the waters edge. Water is stained, but very fishable. Props to the C-Craft I saw floten by, cleanest boat I have seen in along time. Did you guys hook any fish???

peterkoistinen
02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Four fish in 2 1/2 hours is pretty good. Which fly(s) did you use?

Thanks,

Pete

FireFly
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Pete,
The fish I picked-up on tuesday were on a #18 brown glass bead micro-may pattern. I also had a couple grabs swinging a olive leech pattern(no hook-ups). We drifted the river today,down to the campground, on the water at 11:30 pulled out at 4:15. Hooked 1 fish all day, fished hard and we through everything at them. The only fish came on a red san juan. Stoneflys were active mid afternoon , but the fish did not seem to be interested.

peterkoistinen
02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey FireFly,

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I was fishing the rocks under the bridge around noon, I waved at a drift boat with two anglers. Was that you?

I found one spot upstream where fish were feeding on skwalas. It was a moderate speed, willow-lined run, and fish were feeding close to shore on a steady diet of skwalas. I managed three hookups, one to hand.

Good enough to make me try again today.

Pete