PDA

View Full Version : American Report

Ryan Miller
02-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Floated the top of the river today and found great weather and good
numbers of fish. We hooked 10+ steelies and most were adults. We found
a jet chrome 6lb+ fish that went absolutely nuts, she put on quite a show.
The cell phone picture does not do this fish justice. We hooked several fish
between 20 and 26" and was pleased to see that most were very bright.
The river is still dirty and crowded. Sailor bar was a joke, the usual
snagging was in full force. To be honest, I am surprised at the number of
fly fisherman that are "swinging" flies through the mouths of spawning
fish. Nothing like being interrupted during procreation. I would encourage
you to get out and fish the river, it is pleasant and peaceful. There may
only be a few weeks left to intercept the winter-run chrome on the A.

Take care,
Ryan

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/Rhmiller/DrewSteel.jpg

Drew with a hottie

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks Ryan.

February can be a top month for big winter run Steelhead on the Lower American river.

March/April/May can be good Halfpounder time too.

Bob Laskodi
02-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Chris was out Friday morn and hooked a few fish. Interestingly, he helped another fly flinger tail a nice steelie that was foul hooked in the gill plate, and had four flies trailing out its back! I'd have to agree with Ryan on "To be honest, I am surprised at the number of fly fisherman that are "swinging" flies through the mouths of spawning fish". Yeah, and the NCCFFF wants to close the river to "gear heads" that are snagging!

roostersgt
02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I have seen numerous folks fishing the Sunrise riffle just downstream from the bridge. This is no secret and 4-6 people have been here the past 3 days. Are these folks "snagging" "lining" fish? Any reports from here?

Steve

Jasonh
02-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Jeff Mishler says it best in his recent photo essay in the latest issue of Fly Rod and Reel. "You never see the winter steelhead you want to catch, so the ones you do see aren't worth catching."

AllRiverFishing
02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Great job Ryan, it's been a few years since I've seriously fished the American, just out of curiosity... on the dead-drift or the swing?

STEELIES/26c3
02-05-2008, 08:36 PM
NICE FISH RYAN~

Congrats!

and thanks for being a bona-fide angler who actually FISHES for steelhead...

Anyone can put on the Maui Jims and swing a 'bobbered/weighted/tandem snagging rig' through the mouths of spawning fish.

Ironically, and as you well know... a chromer is hooked by reading water and adjusting to the speed, depth and sub-terrain of runs and holds. The first look you get at that fish is beneath a bent over rod as it breaks the river's surface.

I took my lunch break on the bluff of lower Sailor Bar today and watched the circus show below...

A river closure from the Hazel Ave. Basin to Sunrise Ave. would perhaps be a good thing.

Sharing your passion and concern,
Mark