PDA

View Full Version : My favorite saltwater fly fishing................

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I have been fishing in the tropics for over 25 years now and my favorite part of it is really good Baby Tarpon fishing in shallow clear water in the warmer months.

I have been to over 30 destinations for Tarpon but most have been fished hard for over 30 years now. If you get a few takes in a day it's considered a "good day". If you land a Tarpon during your week it's considered successful.

We have found a few new destinations that have had very little pressure and the Baby Tarpon are in large schools and not very spooky.

We use to fish Isla Holbox and Campeche which are still "good" destinations but not "Excellent" anymore The ones we are going to today, Tarpon Cay Lodge and Isla Del Sabalo are still pristine.

There was a big article in the last 'Flyfisherman' magazine on these remote new destinations.

We use 8/9 weight rods with floating lines only and the fish usually run 5 to 15 pounds in high numbers. We do find them in the 20 to 30 pound range at times too. On a really good day we have had top fly fishers boat 15 fish in one day.

Some times we find them in larger sizes like 40 to 100 pounds just out a little in deeper flats.

Here is a video clip of the owner of Yucatan Fly Fishing, Marco Ruz, who is a very good fly fisher. This will give you an idea of how many Baby Tarpon are in these new remote areas in the Mexican Yucatan west of Cancun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQM-3o4plY4

We have lots of Kiene's Fly Shop hosted trips to these destination this next spring, summer and fall.

For more info go to Keith Kaneko's web site, Angling On The Fly:

http://www.anglingonthefly.com/Home.html

Hairstacker
01-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Man, that is an awesome video Bill! By the way, that guy sure can cast. 8)

David Lee
01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Those little buggers sure fall off the hook easy ..... !!!!

David :P

Tony Buzolich
01-31-2008, 07:13 PM
David,
It's a common saying around tarpon that you'll jump ten before you land one. Their mouths are extremely hard inside and getting a good hook-set is often tough. I like using TMC 600SP hooks on them for the best possible grab.
TONY

David Lee
01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Sounds like Ladyfish , Tony (no suprise , Ladys and 'Poons are related) .

You fellas ever use circle hooks ???

David :)

jbird
01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Carl

I felt the same way watching that clip. We were lucky cause it was calm and overcast so we stayed on the tarpon til noon. I was actually a little bummed to leave the hot tarpon action to look for a slam.

Tony
I was using owner mosquito hooks on my flies. They are very light gage and SHARP. They penetrate really well. I landed 5 of the 9 I hooked. I believe the thinner wire hooks get quicker penetration and hold better. This was the second largest fish of the day(not too bad for "baby" poons)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01816.jpg

David
Tarpon are hard to hang on to, but ladyfish, in my experience, are WAY worse. I dont consider myself a tarpon expert by any means but I've hooked a LOT of ladyfish and they drive me NUTS!

Bill
The keys are a great place for baby (to medium) tarpon in the fall. and its pretty pristine cause theres no one else around. The guides are probably a lot more expensive than the yucatan tho?

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
David,

They do get off a lot but that video is shot with a hook with no point for demo purposes.

David Lee
01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
...... that video is shot with a hook with no point ....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's just NUTS !! :eek: What kind of crazy-talk is that ?!? No hook point ??!!?? My God , that's like buying skis and moving to Texas !!

( I am , of course KIDDING :P )

If the lodge would want to comp me a week .... I'd be happy to come down , hook ( and land) some , and scream like Aunt Jemima with no pancakes for the camera :idea:

Just a thought ....... :unibrow:

David :D

Matt Frey
01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
scream like Aunt Jemima with no pancakes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2008, 12:48 AM
David,

If we took you down there you would call your wife and have her 'sell the farm' and join you.

If I hit the Loto I will take you there.