PDA

View Full Version : 9ft vs 8' 6" 4wt for dryfly fishing

Pimpinmeat
01-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I just got the okay to add a new 4wt to the line up. I'm a big fan of the Sage and the SLT is a favorite of mine. I will be out throwing a ZXL to see if I like it as well. My question is about the length. I have a drift boat and do a lot fishing out of the boat. I will also get out and do a lot of wading. The rivers I fish range from small to large, in place's all over.I fish summer in the Eastern Sierras to Idaho and springtime in Montana and winter where ever I can get on and find fish. I don't usually have to cast to far but I do have to contend with wind. I want it to fish smaller dries and lighter tippets. If anyone can could share with me the big differences between the 2 lengths that would be great. I'm leaning towards getting a 8 1/2ft rod and fishing a double taper line if this helps. I already have 3 5wts, a SLT, XP, and Z-Axis which all seem to have there time and place to use and all are 9ft rods. I'm looking in to a specialized rod that will only be used for dry fly fishing. Thanks for your input in advance.

Adam Grace
01-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd pick the 8'6"

The shorter rod will be better in the wind. The loss of 6" will not be that severe, especially since you are not casting or dealing with long distances of line.

BigBill
01-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I faced this same dilemma in the early fall. I decided to go with the 8'6" partly because I already had 9' rods in 5, 6 and 8 weights and a 7' 6" 3wt. So, I wanted to mix it up and add some variety to my arsenal. I am very happy with my decision. I was thinking this would be primarily a dry fly rod, but it turns out I can still nymph the hell out of it. And, I fish mainly in the Sierra's where it often gets very windy. The 8'6" punches even big dry flies (14-16) through the wind with no problems.

Pimpinmeat
01-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I kinda thought that would be the response. I was really leaning towards the 8 1/2ft rod. As far as lines go, I like the SA Trout Taper. I have never used a DT and would like to know a little that as well. Am I making this to complicated?

dtp916
01-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Not complicated at all. The ZXL is a great rod, but I have not casted the 8.5 footer. The 9' 4wt is very nice, but I think the 8.5 would be better if its only for dry fly fishing.

Cast the Winston BIIt and Scott G2 in the line up with the ZXL. The BIIt is awesome for dries and both the 8.5' and 9' models in the 4 wt are a sweet.

The SA Trout taper is a great line for casting, but I have heard it will sink...(all my SA lines have :? ) The Rio Slective Trout II which is updated for '08 is THEE line for DT and dry fly fishing, the Sharkskin in gray or blue heron? is nice too if you want the distance and castability and don't mind the vibrations.

I love DT and would highly recommend them. Good luck.

Pimpinmeat
01-29-2008, 01:01 AM
I've been using the Sharkskin since it came out and I love it. The sound kinda grows on you, especially when a fish starts peeling line off.

I've fished the BIIt and I like them a lot but didn't fell the Scott. Personally, I love the way a SLT feels and would like to get one. But I do have the ok to by what ever I want so I 'll need to get to the fly shop and throw everything.

dtp916
01-29-2008, 02:58 AM
That's the only way to do it. You can still snag SLT's out there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
#4 weight rods are popular in 8', 8'6" and 9' lengths.

8' for really small streams.

8'6" for most streams.

9' for nymphing, lakes and spring creeks.

__________________________________________________ ___________

General idea:

If you have a fast action #5 or 6 weight outfit for your smallest outfit, try getting something smaller this summer for streams. It's really fun.....

Scott V
01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
The smaller the better, just get a 3 weight and you will enjoy the heck out of it. I love my 3 weight. So far I have caught up to a 16" rainbow on it.