PDA

View Full Version : Pearl/Chart/Blue YETI -

David Lee
01-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Ken Hanley's killer fly , with a color twist :evil:

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/flies_008.jpg

Hook - Daiichi 2059 , size 3

Thread - Blue Flat Waxed Nylon (subsitute Chart)

Tag - Blue FWN

Body - Pearl Flashabou dubbing (use a loop , please)

Tail - Fl. Yellow Antron

Collar - Pintail flank (Teal is a bit small ...)

Wing - Pale Chart Bucktail (subsitute Calftail)

Overwing - Smolt Blue K.F.

This one's getting some time on the water come early Summer .... :idea:

David :D

Bob Scheidt
01-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Looks really good. Is it a good fly for all minnow chasing fish?
Bass, crappie? Do you fish it at all depths. Nice picture too.

Bob

David Lee
01-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi Bob !

I've taken Smallies and Spots on it ..... along with several Half-Pounders and one small adult Steelie swinging it . I used it a few years back at Seco and drove the Redears and 'Gills nuts (none big enough to eat it , however ...) .

I usually fish it mid-depth , 'I' or fast sink line . I've no doubts that anything with fins will eat it .

Candida's new camera is working out well- shots would be better if I knew what I was doing ! I'm going to try to post different flies every week , including several step-by-step tying plates on here . Hope it doesn't bore the crap out of everyone ......

David :)

k.hanley
01-27-2008, 03:37 PM
David it warms my heart to see the classic Pearl Yeti get a new life. Thank you.
Cheers, Ken
PS: Bob largemouth bass love 'em during the early Fall (lots of baby threadfins around).

David Lee
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
It's still a classy fly , Ken -

I just thought about a slightly different color accent , the original will still fish just fine .

(you do know that I tye a lot of your flies , don't you ? I have a PILE of Gold Buccaneers here that I throw at everything)

Hairstacker
01-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm going to try to post different flies every week , including several step-by-step tying plates on here.

Cool, looking forward to it David! That's exactly what we need more of in this section of the board.

Darian
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Hmmmm,.... Methinks David has become able to transform himself into FLYZILLA a modern tier of mythical status. As FLYZILLA, Davids cats are constantly on watch to keep him from shaving their coats for dubbing. (why do you think he makes them line up to use the litter box.... :?: :? ) FLYZILLA is known to stop at nothing to obtain any material or hook that would contribute to tying the next fly.... :D :D

Beware Candida :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

k.hanley
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
"PILE of Gold Buccaneers ..."

Have you tried them on leo sharks? I used to get pretty good results with the pattern wade fishing sloughs and flats. I changed the collar to use crosscut rabbit and think it's a better presentation. It's still one of my favorites for flatfish and rockfish.
Cheers, Ken

David Lee
01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Mike -

Wish granted , I'll get to work on step-by-step #1 .

Darian -

Once I got over the twenty minutes of hysterical laughter ..... I couldn't quite figure out if you were soundly spankin' my arse for over-doing things . I hope it was just a funny ...... 8) . I have to admit , I'll be lookin' for a huge rubber Lizard-mask for my new alter ego . Stay tuned ....

Ken -

I have used GB's on Leos before . I've only had one Leopard take a fly (1/0 Chart/White Clouser) . I do use the GB with good results on Bass (Stripes and Largmouth) and had one SAVAGE take on it in the surf at Punta Colorada - whatever it was ...... left me a shredded fly and warped hook (nice Sierra ?? the Devil ????? Who knows ...) . The GB is , IMO , one of the best crossover patterns ever made - it looks like a bunch of different things (little baitfish , Squid , Sand or Ghost Shrimp) , casts well , almost NEVER fouls , and can morph into different color schemes when needed (not often) .

I've made one very minor mod to it - I use a Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H hook in sizes #6-#1/0 , and I make a slight bendback on the hook - This allows a longer , slimmer profile and better tracking than the original 811S hook called for . I also use Gold holographic flash and Olive KF on it .

I think your original fly patterns are fantastic - I also think they are totally overlooked by most people, and I've no clue as to exactly why . I think it would be great if you could post a few photos of some of your favorite flies .... because I think they're too good to be neglected .

Here's just a few from one of my working flyboxes ...
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/flies_012.jpg
Nice , clean profile ... for being eaten a few times !!
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/flies_013.jpg

k.hanley
01-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Say hey David,
You mention "...and I've no clue as to exactly why..." While I travel around the States I get some great feedback. Folks bring me pictures and stories of the flies in use. It's really fun when that happens.

I just do my thing. I share the info with people at shows and clinics (sometimes in books and articles, and the web when I've been asked by friends). If the public wants to use the patterns cool. If not, no biggie. I have fun with them that's for sure. A few are very solid producers. Many are true "works in progress" with potential. A lot have been down right "lousy", but of course you guys don't hear about those (no need to).

Anyway enjoy them.
Cheers, Ken

Adam Grace
01-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Ken, you're a very cool down to earth dude. We are lucky to have such a great ambassador of fly fishing. Keep up the good work.

David, nice flies, very cool ideas.

David Lee
01-28-2008, 11:57 PM
We are lucky to have such a great ambassador of fly fishing .

That's the truth !!

Ken was the first 'big name' person I met - that was back in '94 . He has not changed a bit - He is still a warm , open guy who is a TEACHER , first and foremost . To be inducted into the FF hall of fame , have countless published stories , quite a few ( VERY good ) books , and to have taught so many classes over the years and still remain aproachable ..... that's a pretty rare thing .

While I was tying at ISE ..... I tried to remember how it felt to chatter at Ken , and the way he responded to my rookie questions - that helped me to deal with the people I met the first day there . I can only hope I can carry myself in public with half the grace that Ken has !

David :nod: