PDA

View Full Version : stupid is as stupid does

Ed Wahl
01-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Hit 'Seco again today. Took the pram out, launched at the ramp at the south end of the ramp. There was a bit of a breeze blowing, but along the south end of the lake everything was warm and cozy. Made my way over to the east end, normally a pretty good spot, but today it was uncomfortably windy. There was a hard south wind blowing. Using anchors I was able to cast along the tules, and anywhere downwind I wanted to. Then I decided to check out the coves on the north shore. Started out following the shoreline and fighting the wind until I was having trouble angling along with the wind and waves. I was right at the entrance to the cove I wanted to fish when it dawned on me that the waves and wind were getting dangerous. I guess right then any simple minded moron could have figured out the best way out would be to run for the north shore and walk around to the truck. Well, I'm a lot dumber than the average simple minded moron. I stuck it directly into the wind and stuck the electric motor on high. David Lee, think Lagoon Valley. About half way across the lake I got a bit worried and knelt down in the stern of the pram, not praying, just trying to keep the bow from digging into a wave. Whoever designed this boat had their act together, it always hit the next wave and came up. Had white knuckles and weak knees when I finally made it to the lee side of the lake. Fished for a while longer just to calm down. For a small lake, it can sure build up some massive waves. No fish, but invaluable experience gained. Ed

PS...here's a note I read on a bathroom stall in S. S.F. years ago. Sage wisdom.

Good Judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. :)

Darian
01-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey Ed,.... Sorry 'bout the fishing. :( :( Glad you made it, tho. :D :D Rancho is just a big wind tunnel. :wink: :wink:

David Lee
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Little grim , eh :) ??

Or - is this an excuse for not catching anything :P ??

Truth be told ...... we made it thru lagoon Valley in tubes . You can assume that you're BULLETPROOF after that one !

David :evil:

Ed Wahl
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Actually, I felt safer in the tube. If the pram goes under, it's swim time. Period. I consider it a lesson learned.

David, cmon, really, since when do I need an excuse for not catching any fish? :lol: I can not catch fish with the best of them. :lol:

Carl, that little boat is just full of surprises. Liking it more every time I take it out. That being said, I also am learning to respect the elements I take it out in.

There was a group of three in a 12ft v-hull, they ended up sending one of their party walking back for their truck. I would say they were smarter than me today.

I got to watch a Bald Eagle searching for fish, he didn't get any either. I think i'm in pretty good company there.

In case you haven't noticed, I've just figured out what the "enter" button does. :D

Rob
01-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Sounds like one of my duck hunting trips this year. :shock: I went out in my Kayak in one of the windiest and hardest blowing snow storms of the year. When i left home and got out on the water , and set out my decoys, it was calm and sunny . :D I could hear this storm comming , it sounded like a train or a big rig . I had to head back to my truck early , the snow was blowing horizontally and i could hardly see past the end of my kayak and it was starting to get dark . I was paddling as hard as i could , there were white caps on the water and i was gaining very little ground . I thought i was not going to make it back to my truck , and was going to spend the night in my kayak . :cry: My truck was parked on the side of the highway and i could hear the cars going by. :D That's how i found my way back . Boy was i relieved to be back at my truck . :D I never said anything to my wife anything about that trip !! :oops: :roll:

Scott V
01-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Now you know why alot of windsurfers love Seco.

Phil Synhorst
01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
:( :( Sorry to hear about the conditions, and you smellin like skunk again :P . Weather started o.k., but when the wind picked up here I thought it might go to hell in a hand basket out there.
I bought a set of fins for the tube in anticipation of at least a decent report back from ya. Now I just have to get the darn thing out of the rafters and clean the years of dust off :shock: :lol:

Rick J
01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
A number of years ago a good friend of mine who lives on the North Coast right next to Big Lagoon was out on the lagoon in his little drifter and a brand new electric motor and got caught in a major wind storm that swamped his boat - it sank with only the bow bobbing on the surface and he had to swim to shore - he was very lucky but he lost the motor and new battery

Tracy Chimenti
01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
You won't get a laugh out of me... just pure sympathy! I've had as many very scary moments as there's fingers on my hand!

I have a 14-footer and an 18.6 -footer and I packed them full of additional floatation. I figure it gives me time to actually dial the cell-pone, shoot the flare, figure out how to work the STRANGE marine band portable radio, put on someone's life jacket, or simply to stay above water.

One time in Tahoe the west wind was blowing huge waves into the east shore near Skunk Harbour. These rollers were 20-feet apart and my friend urged me to get the boat in deeper water. Secretly, I was resigned to the theory of a 50/50 chance of capsizing, so for the second time in my life (last time was on Hell Hole), if figured I'd try to "surf" the boat home over the shelves and shoals, as close to the shore as safely possible. I knew that as long as I stayed with the "float", I'd drift to shore and would be able to drag my hypothermic self onto Lakeshore Blvd. Well we made it back to Lake Forest, but not before my buddy suggested we CUT STRAIGHT ACROSS CARNELIAN BAY, BECAUSE THE WATER WOULD BE CALMER! [My, do we think differently]. FRIGID WATER KILLS IN A HALF HOUR!

Another time was in a tin drift boat on Crane Prarie (no floation)... but that's another story-- YOU GOT ME STARTED. I know Ralph Cutter's got a dog in this fight! It would be cool if he'd tell us of a wild, lonely ride in a canoe from Ward Creek to Sand Harbour!!

Live and learn, Bro! Tracy

Hairstacker
01-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Ed, glad to hear you made it out of that okay and didn't lose the boat. That's a great boat you've got there. 8) 8) 8)

Tony Buzolich
01-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Tracy,

If I understand you right, you said "Ward Creek" which is on the west shore, and "Sand Harbor" which is on the east shore? In a canoe?

Even if the lake was flat as glass the whole distance I don't think I'd want to paddle that far. Bet it's a good story.
TONY

HC
01-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Ed, Alls well that ends well. Glad you told about it, it will keep all of us a little safer. Experience can be a heavy handed teacher. Harley